Systems Staff Meeting Notes
May 1, 2006
May 1, 2006
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying Tang, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 4/24/06
- Stephen is getting a new bowling ball tonight.
- Discussion of sports - mainly: golf vs. bowling.
- Per Tom, "Flight 93" is the best film the year, so far.
- Library Council meeting - tentative schedule for moving back to West: start date of May 31, if all goes well regarding inspections: fire, CNS, etc. Dates could get moved back. Business Services is the first department scheduled to move. Movers have been hired to move both people and books. Staff Recognition Committee - the idea of a meaningful bonus was shot down by the Provost's Office. No cash bonuses or merit raises on campus. The committee is still working on ways to reward staff. Apparently the only way to get an increase in pay within the Libraries is to find another job and hope they match the offer. Calendar notifications of Library events will be sent via email in the form of meeting invitations. You are not required to respond.
- Carpeting of Systems - set for August 1. Systems to relocate to room 100 East.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Ann #2 - Geoffrey is interested in attending WIN2K3 Server training as well.
- Dell shipments - lots of stuff incoming. Inside Delivery cannot be requested as a sku on orders for equipment that is not the Dell brand. We are not staffed to unload trucks.
- Eight more workstations for West to be ordered: 4 for West, 4 for other areas.
- Access Services - 11 new workstations to be ordered to replace what was ordered when they left West.
- ETA on dual monitors for Ref desk: 5/5/06.
- Keyboard, mouse and monitor to be installed on server that is on order.
- Committee working on how to make the staff liaison program work better - Dale requested its formation. Trish, Erich and Will are involved. This may involve another person to manage staff liaisons in addition to the Public Services Coordinator position.
Software Projects Status
- Dell ImageBuilder software - giving generic builds. It is not able to locate Ghost builds. Roy Thomas at Dell corrected the problem. Ghost images for public machines are in the process of being built. Once the staff image is uploaded, it, too, will be built, audited, verified and approved. At that point we can download it to burn to a CD here.
- AD - Will to talk to Mike Conlon to get it on the radar. Public workstations will not be AD going into West.
- Chris reports that Winston had a meeting at MSL before he left for vacation and came back to announce that the ERES program that Chris has been working on since February has been scrapped. Oh well, good training. Will store it on the server.
- GatorLink authentication project - looking to use it with ASPX (active server pages). There are a lot of different ways to do it. They are currently in research mode.
- Quality control - the person that requests the software has to sign-off on it.
- Grant-tracking database - fixed some errors. Still ongoing.
- Greenstone Loader-Preloader - running well. Had to re-input some cities due to SQL server problems.
- Ying had 2 programming requests from Erich this morning for DLC tracking. IR stuff is higher priority.
- Backup for Greenstone is to be added to the Systems backups.
- JPEG 2000 server will start using Smathers2K3SQL.
- Circ manual - waiting for Winston's return. We were going to use IP for access, but now we may go with GatorLink.
- Metalib - passed over to Public Services for their input. They need more time for review. Meeting tomorrow to discuss.
- Blog software - Tom is getting a lot of inquires about it. Momentum is building.
- My Little Icon - for Library web site - should be UF not GASL - Tom's project is to come up with another and make sure it is approved.
- Meeting held.