Systems Staff Meeting Notes
March 27, 2006
March 27, 2006
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang, Stephen WilliamsAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 03/20/06
- Chris was in San Antonio for the weekend - his brother just graduated from Air Force boot camp.
- Appraisals are due today. Will has finished them all, except Bobbie's - that one will be done upon her return.
- IT reorganization meeting - with the Directors and Mark Hoit - last week. IT staff will not be taken away from current positions any time soon. Lots of clamoring for universal email.
- Will is out on vacation all of next week.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Carpeting in Systems - plan is to press on when the majority of folks have moved back to West so we can temporarily inhabit their old spaces during the abatement/carpeting. Should start happening by the beginning of the summer.
- Erich thinks he has new servers on order for streaming video. They have yet to come through Systems.
- New position description for Public Computing Technical Coordinator - would work for Systems. Duties to include: communicating between Public Services & Systems, developing on-going training programs for liaisons, troubleshooting public computers, etc. 75% IT work, 25% Public Services. Will to email a copy of the proposal.
Software Projects Status
- ILLIAD and Docutek are to be hosted remotely by the software developer.
- Web server still has the back plane failure. Nothing done yet. Will restore the Web server to another box, and then create a new one. We bought two spares for ILLIAD and Docutek. Will use one for the new SQL and one for a back-up Web server.
- Deep Freeze updates on public computers are all done.
- West - pretty much narrowing the equipment request list down - just need to solidify the quotes.
- The staff training room equipment is even closer to done.
- AD - may join campus tree in the summer - public machines only. All or none - who knows?
Systems Security Management
- Patron Updates - back on track - ran successfully this morning.
- ILLIAD/Accounting - Winston missed the meeting last week - he had to attend a Bridges meeting discussing the UF universal database. It was interesting to see how many people on campus use it.
- UFDC - DLC - went into production mode last week. There are several collections to migrate over to production. Big data moves. When it's finished, there will be two distribution pathways - one control, one new. Need to come up with a backup solution to the production and development servers.
- Enterprise version of SQL server 2005 to be ordered this week.
- Meeting held.