Systems Staff Meeting Notes
November 14, 2005
November 14, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Tom saw another really bad movie over the weekend: "Derailed".
- The new Harry Potter movie comes out Friday.
- Everyone did weekend things: chores, shopping, festivals, garage sales, etc.
- Will was bit by a wasp. Many remedies discussed.
- Town Meeting Nov. 17 - staff recognition.
- Geoffrey will be on vacation until after Thanksgiving, starting on Wednesday of this week.
- Support Services Meeting this morning - Winston and Will to be added to Secure weekend support. Reclassification of positions - final meeting with UF HR, then the project will be underway. Crime on campus - take precautions - daylight savings time and the holidays. TEAMS holiday cash-out - 16 hours max. Sony - retracted their innocuous software - they are facing class action suits. Homeland security is involved.
- Systems Staff Christmas Luncheon - Tuesday, December 6 in the Systems Conference Room. More details to follow.
- Projectors - both in Systems are broken. A new one for Video East is on order. Another for Video Equipment for Checkout will be ordered this week.
- Upcoming - per Grace, Dell quotes on replacing NT2R - one to be located here in Systems, one in MSL. They are currently running a sale: "buy 2 terrabytes, get 1 free". Should have the order in by the first week in December.
- SQL server to be ordered, as well.
- Looking to double the Web server.
- Public computer configuration status - Directors to review progress so far and decide how to proceed at this juncture. Bill indicated in the Business Services meeting that Systems will more than likely be finishing up the project, not the committee.
Software Projects Status
- Backup Exec - Will is working on daily and mailboxes.
- SUS backup - servers are getting updates, most require a restart. If the restart is not automatic, it must be done manually.
- Xerox server - has required multiple restarts today.
- Greenstone/BBS - waiting for Geoffrey to return from vacation. Will says it is okay to wipe the BBS server and start from scratch.
- Greenstone Production server - the software crew really need it.
- ILLIAD - some things have cleared up.
- ARIEL - ports are okay - set session opens ports from its end.
- ILL & Accounting - lending transactions not billed. ILLIAD solution is the Billing Manager.
- TOAD issues - the program takes ILLIAD transaction and puts them in the Accounting program. Updates to ILLIAD kill TOAD. Winston is trying to come up with an alternate solution.
- EReserves - still ongoing.
- Greenstone Loader - ongoing, close to finish.
- Programmer position - resumes under review.
Systems Security Meeting
- Communications page - Tom met with Misty and Trudi regarding content. News and Events - RSS feed.
- Martha is very into blogs, BBS, RSS feeds - we will be moving in that direction.
- XML parser at Library News Digest - Martha doesn't really want it piggybacked off their server. Tom will research - it may have to be Linux.
- Meeting was held.