Systems Staff Meeting Notes
September 26, 2005
September 26, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris NicolichAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 9/12/05
- Benefits Workshop - more info at the Reitz Union October 18-19 Benefits Fair. Every hour they will have a presentation on the health investor options.
- Mark is in Key West for Ephemeral Cities project.
- Request from Directors - to figure out space requirements. Will would like us to measure our current office space and project a ten-year growth plan.
- Sending large attachments via email is not advised. Instead, post it on the Web and send a link to the site that can be accessible to all recipients.
- Facilities is in the process of moving LAD to Publix. Tom notes that there is a link on the Library Web page informing patrons what is not available.
- Geoffrey is out at Linux training this week.
- The Systems Security Meeting has been added to the regular Systems Staff Meetings.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Cynthia finally got her car back! Seems to be okay.
- Orders - have processed some today - still more to do.
- Public computer config - Friday was installation training. They were going to start this week, but may have postponed it due to the AD migration.
Software Projects Status
- Tomorrow night we will attempt to move some mailboxes to the new server. We will ask people to clean up their mailboxes and if there are items they must keep, move it to a .pst file. They can have multiple .pst files. Ideally we will try the move and fix errors that occur. If we can't fix them, then: delete.
- AD migration - forced password changes and Web server requesting authentication - it would not allow us to add a new server when converting and it reset our security policy. Luckily, we saved a copy of the policy and restored it. We also happened to read online that if you are converting Exchange 5.5 to 2003, the first server cannot be a clustered server. Once that was rectified, the problems were fixed. The Dell guy will return tomorrow.
- The clustered Exchange server is ready to go - need to remove the Domain Controller configuration. We just bought a tool to remove the function.
- Web server - newer one is ready - Compaq purchased in 2001 - will migrate the current Web server to it. Dell is saying it may take another week of work - and more money.
- AD campus - still Fall '06. May try to form a trust before then.
- Patron Update - trying to get a new data source for student addresses. We've used the Registrar for a long time. Registrar file does not synch up with the HR Directory. Currently, we are trying to get access to the Student Data Warehouse.
- Mark is off doing Greenstone. It is going pretty well. Bi-weekly meetings show we are making good progress. Several programs have been loaded. Working on optimizing the process.
- Ying is working on part two of the Greenstone Loader.
- New programmer position has closed. Winston is going through resumes.
- WebStats - finished, numbers delivered to Bill last week.
Security Management Meeting
- When the Library Web page goes down, we sure do hear a lot about it. There was a rumor going around that it'd be down for a week and a half! The instructor librarians were especially upset.
- The meeting was held at the conclusion of the Systems Staff Meeting.