Systems Staff Meeting Notes
August 29, 2005
August 29, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Hurricane chatter.
- Geoffrey's roof is still unfinished.
- Winston was in the Keys over the weekend - lots of rain!
- CNS - here surveying for the wall plate. They will only charge for active ports. Will have to re-survey when half the staff move back to West.
- Cynthia is still sans car!
- Debra had a phone inquiry as to the status of new liaison training. They can go to the Systems Web page and familiarize themselves with the liaison documents. Beyond that, there are Net G courses offered online. We have no training set up for the immediate future.
- Public Computer Configuration - Cynthia has completed two. There is one more in Will's office that needs to be done. All three are for the Journalism Library. There is an obvious problem in asking Librarians to do IT work. If only we had more IT positions.
Software Projects Status
- Will received two calls over the weekend. The first was from Michael Jay, reporting that the front door of East was open (again) and that he had conveyed this situation to Jim Stevens. What they need to do is report it to Facilities. The second call was about a number of machines on the third floor north tower that were not working. Will felt they could make due with what machines were available and functioning in that area until Monday. Turns out, there was a dead UPS. The switches had power; it was the Ethernet converters on the power switches that died. The UPS from the vault was dead. We will leave it as is for now.
- NT8 is very slow today. Will to check on it.
- Tentative date to start AD migration: 12 September. They say it will be a two-week project. They will survey our equipment and network first, making sure it is suitable to do the migration. They will let us know if there are additional charges before starting the job.
- Patron Update - it worked pretty well last Wednesday, there were some email problems that Chris has resolved. There was also a problem where it listed home addresses as business addresses, then listed no business addresses on file. It is more important to have the home address accurate. They are trying to fix it. It will now run every Monday.
- Greenstone - Ying has the first part of the loader scenario done. MET file input processed into their data structure. Need to write it into their databases.
- Mark is working on the search mechanism for Greenstone.
- Ephemeral Cities - same status as Greenstone.
- Winston has not gotten the Programmer position back to HR yet. It has not yet been posted.
- Winston gave a tour to the Law IT guy, Daniel Crisman. They showed him Verify Patron, Deep Freeze, etc. Law has no SQL server, no Campus AD.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom has been working with Mark on the search engine for Greenstone.
- Ref Express - is now replaced by, "Ask A Librarian" - using the UF Jabber client. They want an ID created for non-UF patrons. Jabber requires a UF ID to start an account. They want a link on the Library Web page.
- Grace had a schedule change, but the main effect is that she can only stay until 4PM instead of 5PM, which isn't too bad.
- Debra is swamped with new account creations.
- Cynthia has the Golden Ram this week.