Systems Staff Meeting Notes
August 1, 2005
August 1, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 7/25/05
- Geoffrey and Dawn went to an indoor shooting range.
- Bobbie has a close friend get very sick from applying Round-Up in his yard. It contained a commercial application that is not supposed to be available in the south (due to humidity). It was purchased at Home Depot. Be very careful when using toxic chemicals.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Cost of AD to be removed from Nets #6.
- Ann #6 - Division Heads Meeting - no new meeting time has been scheduled.
- Town Meeting - announcement made that $150,000 has been allocated for new computers for the West Info Commons. More money is needed.
- Systems security meeting - Wednesdays - more attendees have been added to the group.
- Compaq replacement drive - has not been received yet. Was shipped UPS five days ago. Need to check upstairs (RS) package deliveries.
- We are seeing a rash of Optiplex 270 SX with bulging capacitors. Two more reported today. We should go around and check all of those models out there and make a list of any showing signs of this problem. The motherboard has to be replaced. A separate call has to be made for each machine. This will be a good opportunity for Cynthia to learn how to submit a request for replacement parts with Dell.
- Meeting this week.
- Bobbie would like one of the topics to be the lack of paperwork received for replacement machines.
- Bill Hanssen has mentioned that he has only received a few machines at ALF.
Software Projects Status
- Verified Patron finished - Trish in Documents has her copy of the CD. We will try rolling it on a limited basis for testing, and see how it goes.
- Exchange server will be rolled into AD. Martha approved the AD migration. If all goes well, we could be on AD this intersession. Exchange and Web servers will be a part of it.
- Greenstone - OS installed, not networked. The drive was overheating this morning.
- Ref Express - Jana talked to the company, and now Will is going to get involved.
- Linux servers - will they be AD as well? Probably.
- Chris is finished the employee side of Patron Update. He is now working on the student side. It is scheduled to run weekly in the fall.
- Greenstone (UFDC) - initially, had three goals:
1) Page-turning working on the site
2) Table of Contents
3) Bounding box - search term highlighting
Goals 1 & 2 are working, but not integrated. Goal 3 has been re-prioritized to working on an automated loader. Ying will work on UFDC in general; Mark will work on Ephemeral Cities.
- Winston is working on posting the vacant programmer position.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom is working on the page for UFDC.
- Tom notes that the Institutional Repository is now called DCUF. Two very similar acronyms.
- Recent Systems employee moves are now reflected in the telephone system: Bobbie (ext 111), Chris (ext 114), Cynthia (ext 106). The Sun server in Suzy's old office is ready to go home.
- This is finals week - students should pretty much be here - then: two weeks intersession. Grace and Vera may be able to work during the break. All three students will be returning for the fall semester.