Systems Staff Meeting Notes
July 18, 2005
July 18, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Safety awareness discussion.
- Geoffrey mowed his lawn this weekend and it no fun.
- Tom moved this weekend and it was really no fun. His new apartment has a full-blown, indoor basketball court.
- IT Practitioner position - Cynthia has been hired. And thus, a programmer position will become available.
- Cynthia finished the new Harry Potter book.
- No Division Heads meeting today - and never again at 9AM on Mondays. Designated time has yet to be scheduled.
- Ariel order - still waiting for the vendor to be added to the vendor list. Need to check with Betty again.
- 22 Dells - received.
Software Projects Status
- Verify Patron - Geoffrey has sealed the pattern for the new set-up. It includes DeepFreeze. The most recent version of Verify Patron is: 4.4.0. Geoffrey has a set-up CD and documentation in process. It verifies the patron's ID, and then wipes the machine when they are done.
- Dell GX270's - problem with memory access is turning out to be that a lot of them have bulged capacitor problems in the motherboard.
- Exchange - all done, except installing the Exchange 5.5 clustered version. Will is getting used to it, then he'll start installing and eventually move everyone over.
- Linux - need to install on the BBS and Greenstone servers. Will get everyone involved (Will, Winston, Bobbie & Geoffrey).
- RefExpress - Jana is talking to the manufacturer. They will be requiring a public web page that will list the preferred method for accessing RefExpress.
- AD - Will got a document from Dell - with the cost for AD - need to read through it and get more info.
- West computers - will we be waiting to purchase them once West is open? No information on that topic has been divulged. Unknown.
- Patron Updates - hoping to be ready by fall - getting closer.
- Greenstone - progress this week - Ying is working on the table of contents - it is going well.
- Bobbie and Winston have been doing Linux updates. He thinks Bobbie is getting more comfortable on v. 9.
- SUSE to go on Greenstone and TILT. Also, soon: BBS and Greenstone production server.
- Request from Rita in Special Collections: mods to St Nick.
- NT25 made to talk to SQL2K - .net server. Will notes that NT25 was originally NT5 and at one time, all of its drives died at the same time. Will resuscitated it and it became NT25, but if .net turns out to be a major project, we may want to reconsider what server is being used. Will also have to do something with backups. Needs at least a Win2K server.
- The Web server should be migrated within the next month or so, as soon as Exchange is done.
- Greenstone - Erich wants each collection to have its own Web page.
- Institutional Repository pages - Tom is working on forms.
- Dead links/Web server migration discussion.