Systems Staff Meeting Notes
July 11, 2005
July 11, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 6/20/05and 6/27/05
- Will is back from vacation. Hurricane Dennis dragged them home from Pensacola earlier than expected. Will recommends visiting the National Aviation Museum if you are ever in Pensacola.
- Geoffrey conveys that public printing is back up. The solution was multiple restarts. Updates caused problems with the drivers.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- 6/20/05 Pay increase - has been entered into PeopleSoft, there were a few glitches - but everything is ready to go for August.
- 6/27/05 - Software - last line should be #8: "Mark to meet with Will to discuss .Net server."
- Orders - buying has resumed.
- Waiting for quote for Ariel software order.
- Order of 22 Dells has been 'lost' by the local carrier. Dell started production on another batch. Estimated ship date listed as July 18.
- Power outage in 19D now under control.
- NT2R/NT2R1 clustered service is now back to normal conditions.
- Fujitsu hard drive received
Software Projects Status
- Greenstone production server Linux to be installed this week.
- Exchange server is waiting on the installation crew. Hope to migrate old to new soon. When that does happen, email will be down for a spell and when the new server is up, users will need to change settings to point to it.
- BBS server - needs Linux installed: Will, Bobbie and Winston will get together to learn how. Will wait for Bill to return from vacation to get the bulletin board back online.
- Networking - ongoing for the old Systems documentation room. Conduit is almost installed. The next crew that comes in will do the wiring. Network outlets to go in both the old doc room and the conference room. Brad to work on the installation of power for four offices and a printer. Discussion digresses to talk of painting the Systems conference room.
- West computers - discussions regarding public machines have been forwarded to Will and Geoffrey.
- Web server migration - we're still on NT8. Web migration won't happen until after the BBS, Exchange and Greenstone installs.
- Temporary .Net server for Mark Sullivan: NT25.
- AD - joining the campus tree is still down the road. Dell quote for AD installation on our system is three weeks late.
Student and Department Happenings
- Patron Update Frequency - aiming for weekly updates by fall. Chris is working on it.
- Greenstone - Martha, Erich, Ying, Mark, & Gus all met this morning to discuss progress. Martha and Erich have timelines. Mark put up a few examples in the Greenstone Development server to show we are making progress.
- Mark is splitting his time between Greenstone and Ephemeral Cities.
- ILLIAD - most issues have been resolved, except for a scanner issue. It won't scan if two applications (ILLIAD and Ariel) are claiming the scanner. If both apps are up, they claim the scanner. Winston went to the Fujitsu site and downloaded the latest drivers, but that did not help. Geoffrey and Winston will take a look at it together.
- What is the current version of Verify Patron? 4.3 - will need to check on it. Geoffrey needs to know so he can distinguish who is in need of upgrading.
- Will has interviews for the IT Practitioner position (Repair Tech) this Friday. Three candidates are in the pool.
- Will is scheduled to be out tomorrow at the Library Council Retreat.
- Discussion of birthday celebration schedules.