Systems Staff Meeting Notes
June 27, 2005
June 27, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Division Heads Meeting - Jill Skotko will be leaving in August to accept a better position. Construction in West - had to redo the drywall (moisture problem). Will set back the schedule by about two weeks.
- Will is out of the office June 30 - July 8. Back on Monday, July 11.
- All of the pieces of the Exchange and Greenstone server orders have been received.
- Greenstone hardware install is scheduled for tomorrow.
- Exchange install will probably be scheduled for the week after next.
- Liaison meeting scheduled for next week will be cancelled.
Software Projects Status
- Outages - this weekend everything was down while Will and Geoffrey rearranged the server room. Lib IR is still down and SmathersL7 - Forms-to-mail was down this morning (it is back up now). RefExpress had to be manually restarted. SUS server: it failed to find the network - a cold boot fixed it. SUS server had a Trojan
- NT8R has been replaced with NT8R1. Old NT8R will be the Web server.
- BBS server is racked, but not wired.
- AD is pending Dell professional services - Will has requested a proposal from them. Waiting for response.
- Winston attended the Campus AD meeting. There are still a lot of issues left before implementation. IFAS is still having issues isolating units as well as technical difficulties. Public workstations under AD would eliminate public user security problems.
- Trivoli - CNS backups - Allen Rout gave demo. Money-wise, it is cheaper than what we do now. It is a client-server application that we would point to their service. We will have to continue our own backups during a test period. Only PeopleSoft is backed up and taken off site.
- The first Summer B Patron Update has run. Another is scheduled for Wednesday.
- ILLIAD database has been moved from NT4 to NT18. Move went pretty smoothly. All ILLIAD users will have to reinstall the client.
- Greenstone - 2.6 & 3.0 - 3.3 doesn't ingest the projects very well. Will probably end up with 3.0. Need development server.
- DLC Tracking - Phase Two is done. Ying and Mark are working on Greenstone now.
- The Batch Ingestor - Ying is working it up - Tracking database blocks input - no easy way around it.
- Mark is working on Ephemeral Cities.
- Cynthia - Development Productivity - needs analysis. Mark to meet with Will to discuss.
- Metalib - going live for staff only - metasearch. Ref will test. There have been problems with it in South Florida, North Florida and Gulf Coast. Trying personalized portal. More databases need to be added.