Systems Staff Meeting Notes
June 20, 2005
June 20, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 6/13/05
- The beach was good to Bobbie this weekend. She found another set of gold teeth and a diamond ring.
- Tom tells a dental story.
- Germ conversation.
- The power steering blew a seal in Geoffrey's Mazda - the liquid got all over the engine - $200 repair.
- 1992 Grand Marquis - anyone know how to change the bulb on the left front turn signal? Tom needs help.
- Division Meeting - Will unable to attend - had to babysit NT2.
- Timecards - need to enter/project your time for this week.
- Town Meetings - third Thursday of each month. Directors attend - if you have any questions, this is your chance to ask. Aug 18: President Machen is scheduled to speak.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Review #1 - Pay increase is a-go. Goes into effect August 1st.
- PowerVault 220 and 2 power cords - part of the Exchange server order - has been received.
- Wrist rest for Sharon Holder has been received.
- NT2R - any ordering for it is on hold until next year.
- The suspected untrustworthy liaison has been vindicated - is still doing stuff, but is not a liaison. Admin password for that area has changed. Debra is supposed to receive notification.
Software Projects Status
- NT2 - Email server down this morning - log files were full - not being flushed. The backups did not run completely. Ran the offline backup - now there is plenty of space.
- Greenstone - several pieces of the server have been received - just missing Power Vaults.
- BBS sever received - it's in the rack. Needs OS installed, then Linux experts can do their thing.
- CNS has a storage service that may be feasible for us to use. We would back up everything there which would eliminate the need to expand NT2R. Will is going to meet with Allen Rout (CNS) to get an overview of the service.
- West computers - Will heard they are planning to order a bunch of fancy stuff. No details yet.
- Geoffrey got a machine from our software staff to test DeepFreeze software.
- Dell's AD service - takes you from NT4.0 to AD. Will is checking on the price. We'll do it, if it's not too outrageous. Our AD would be separate from campus - then we'd join campus AD at a later date.
- EShare - awaiting decision.
- Batch Importer is finished.
- Patron Update Frequency - Chris is working on automation.
- DLC Lessons Learned - delayed while Ying works on Greenstone.
- Mark - Ephemeral Cities - held up by Greenstone.
- Geoffrey needs Verify Patron that is bare-bones to use for testing DeepFreeze.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom had quite a bit fewer email in the Webmaster box over the weekend.
- New UF-wide Web Development group meets June 27.
- Vera and Grace will be working during break week.
- All three students - Grace, Vera & Luiza - will be returning for Summer B semester.
- This weekend Will and Geoffrey are going to come in and rearrange the server room. Things will be down. Will to send an email out notifying everyone.
- IT Practitioner (repair tech) - position now posted for Systems. Where will they be located? We have a work order to wire the room upstairs next to the conference room, but that doesn't seem the best place logistically to house the techs. May have to make room downstairs. We may also eventually have a network security position.