Systems Staff Meeting Notes
June 6, 2005
June 6, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- "Revenge of the Sith" was kicked off the #1 spot of top movies this weekend.
- Geoffrey was laid up for two days on pain pills.
- Geoffrey got lumber for building his closets and there was a copperhead snake in the wood.
- Tom is still looking for a place to live.
- According to the Gainesville Sun, UF employees should be getting a 3.6% pay increase on August 1.
- Gas price discussion.
- Division Heads Meeting - budget is confusing. Everything that has already been ordered is okay.
- Order for missing computers - has been received.
- Leilani has asked if we can buy a professional version of Deep Freeze. It has a utility to handle SUS updates. We'll consider it, but we need to have Public Services figure out what they want to do.
- USB adapters for barcode readers - 10 have been received, an order of 40 is on back order.
- We're in a holding pattern on switches and public staff machines. We have a list for distribution, but not for what's being surveyed out.
- Greenstone and Exchange servers are on order.
- BBS server on order - supposed to be delivered June 8th. It will use the same version of Linux.
- Met last week - told them to re-enable Help & Support Service but disable users. We had disabled it when setting them up to prevent pop-ups.
Software Projects Status
- NT2R outage - RPG was down. The back-up server took over so it wasn't noticeable. The primary server is back up now.
- Received a notification from Net Services regarding a machine scanning the network on Saturday. The user was working here, so Will called and had the machine unplugged. Geoffrey checked it out this morning and did not find anything. Net Services said it might be a false positive, so we'll return it to the network.
- Web server - on hold depending on the migration of the old NT8R server. There's a problem with groups. Looking at MS tools.
- Will has a conference call with the guy from Dell tomorrow about the service that converts you to AD. If the migration tools work, however, we may have to do it ourselves.
- NT2R expansion - need to add space. Barbara said we could still get orders through if necessary.
- Marc Decoder - done.
- East Florida database changes - done.
- Cynthia & Chris are working on a new project - a batch importer that modifies an old DLC program done by Mark Sullivan.
- DLC Lessons Learned is in Phase Two.
- File Sort is in Phase Two. Ying is working on it. DLC Tracking now goes up to Phase Eight.
- Ying will work with Greenstone after she finishes DLC Tracking Phase Two.
- Ying has been attending bi-weekly technical meetings with DLC.
- Ying has also been attending DLC staff meetings.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom reports that the Web master email box had 1,023 emails over the weekend. Something was spoofing our address. Tom is going to remove the Web master email links where possible.
- Martha asked Tom to look into blogs and RSS feeds. Would be good for the newsletter.
- Some people have taken old stuff off the Web server.
- Systems Web site - emergency notification numbers have been updated.
- Next week we'll meet at 2PM on Monday. Cynthia has the golden ram this week. If she is not going to be here, she'll pass it along to Vera.