Systems Staff Meeting Notes
May 9, 2005
May 9, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 5/2/05
- The weather is really nice.
- Chris went to the beach over the weekend.
- Tom Minton's niece graduated. He got to see his great-nephew who was visiting from Saudi Arabia.
- Water - Bill is going to cancel his account this afternoon. We need to decide what we want to do. The cost will be much more, since Bill has heavily subsidized it up to this point. Debra will investigate the possibilities of a new account with Culligan.
- Staff work surveys have been passed out. Deadline to return them is May 16. Please put them in Will's box upon completion.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Missing CPU's - no word. Debra will contact Allison Bacon again.
- NT2 issue with XP - resolved. 10.227 IP address was the problem. Change to 10.227 and reboot fixed the problem.
- Orders - lots on the horizon. Will is waiting on a server quote from Dell. Will order as soon as possible.
- Deep Freeze - order for testing is in the queue.
- DLC - request for MS Visio software - should be ordered under state contract.
- New machines - distribution is slow.
- Meeting last week - not too many people in attendance. Michael Jay sent his summary to Will who forwarded it to those who requested it.
Software Projects Status
- Outlook Web access is still down. Saturday, Sunday, today - continuing to troubleshoot.
- Email problems continue to be the #1 thorn in Will's side.
- Web server - slow.
- SQL issues abound. Could be related to NT2 issues.
- Current projects - move Exchange. Upgrade Web, Greenstone and BBS servers.
- West computers - may get all new machines if the money is there. Public services wants all the public machines configured similar to CIRCA. Geoffrey has identified some shortfalls - problems with security and virus updates. We are checking into DeepFreeze and Ghost software. May also have to change Library policy on copyrights and licensing.
- AD - Dell offers a service to setup AD - Will is looking into it.
- Office 2003 software - is now available for use. Downloading it is optional. Systems has not tested it for trouble. We've announced that it is available at MM and Liaison meetings. If there is a problem, we suggest uninstalling it and going back to the previous version.
- Office 2003 WAH - received and available for those who are authorized to work at home. It does tend to conflict with older stuff and forces you to archive your email.
- EShare replacement for RefExpress - no action.
- Learning database - Cynthia - ongoing.
- Marc Decoder - finished, again - third time. Still the same version.
- East Florida - meeting on Thursday.
- File storage - DLC - Ying - new Tracking database launched last month. Delphi version did not work. Working on new version of file sort in C Sharp. It will be Phase Two for the project. It has not yet been officially started.
Student and Department Happenings
- Metalib - with FCLA.
- Feedback about clean up efforts? Tom has put the word out. AFA has cleaned up their stuff. Other than that, not much action.
- Today is the start of Summer A. Students are all here, schedule is set.