Systems Staff Meeting Notes
April 26, 2005
April 26, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 04/18/05
- Did anyone have more fun than Will this weekend?
- Task Survey - five-minute outline of what you do all day. There will also be an option about what you think you should be doing but don't get the time to do. Survey to be completed by all Library staff.
- Library Goals - passed around to staff. It is a living document. You should know the 5 major goals and be able to relate your work to it.
- Passing of the Golden Ram - indicator of snack duty - Bobbie has it this week.
- Parking Pass - the old one mysteriously disappeared from Debra's cubicle wall. Need to request a new one.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Ann #1 - issue of calendar updates - unified division calendar is in the works. Will have four separate departmental calendars under one mailbox. When it is ready to go, that is the calendar to use to record staff time off, etc. Supervisors are to keep it updated. Also on the horizon, PAULAx4.
- Dell Optiplex orders - first batch arrived 4/20/05 (no inside delivery). Second batch arrived today minus 2 CPUs and the packing slip. Debra notified Dell, they will ship two replacement CPUs.
- Home Use software - Debra needs to reorder following SLS/Purchasing Web page instructions.
- W2K3 Server software received.
- Firefox update released about a week and a half ago. Should be at 1.03.
Software Projects Status
- Exchange server upgrade disaster - it is almost repaired. Tried to upgrade it to Win2K from NT4 over the weekend. This was to make it more secure as there is a vulnerability with NT4 that cannot be patched. It would not permit the upgrade without Active Directory because the server was a Domain Controller - none of the Exchange parts would function. Tried to go back to NT4 - it was battling the domain control function. Finally Will remembered a trick - had to wipe OS and install W2K without the domain control function. Exchange is at least up and running today. A few users cannot get into Outlook and there is a shared mailbox permissions issue. Web mail works, but had to change the procedure to log in on the second page. Geoffrey has had reports of people looking for Office2K and unable to find it on NT2. The folder probably needs to be shared out. Will tells a tale of woe regarding NIC cards. Basically, with this whole upgrade/server install, if anything could have gone wrong - it did. Bill was speaking with Dale during the Exchange debacle and she was asking what if we had two mail servers - one to use as backup. Dale said we should price it out.
- Backup problems - Saturday night Will checked the backups and there were no files for Information Store - not readable. Will pursue when time permits. Can't use the data to restore - it is not working as advertised.
- West computers - they still want them set up like CIRCA. Geoffrey needs to present the new public procedure to Gary and get his agreement.
- MSL outage - CNS called at the same time that the Exchange server problem was occurring. Said they were installing switches for VOIP in MSL. They assured Will our subset would work. Will tried to ping the WINS server and it wouldn't respond. He called CNS - they were having lots of problems. The old switches weren't accepting the upgrade. Public machines were down - Verify Patron not working. They are still having trouble with the public classrooms in MSL today. Geoffrey called CNS to have them work on it.
- Web Server migration - still thinking about it. One set up, should be less painful - easy to go back if necessary.
- AD - set to join campus tree in Fall of 2006.
- ILLIAD upgrade - installed last Friday - took about an hour and a half. The rest of the day had calls about why it was acting differently - mostly due to change. There are still some outstanding issues, calls to FCLA.
- EShare replacement for RefExpress - Will to check with Reference on two new products.
- Marc Decoder - ongoing.
- Patron Update frequency - talking to Rich about changing it to weekly rather than monthly. There are four issues to work out.
- DLC Lessons Learned presentation by Ying - will be done as a mini series of one-hour installments.
- East Florida papers - still waiting for info from Jim Cusick.
- Mark is doing quality control on DLC Tracking.
Student and Department Happenings
- Web server clean-up needs to be done.
- Work permits were mailed out to students.
- Schedule for summer has been established.
- Bobbie, Geoffrey and Winston will attend Linux training this summer.
- Library Council meeting was a real experience for Will.