Systems Staff Meeting Notes
April 18, 2005
April 18, 2005
Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Suzy Covey, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 4/11/05
- Division Heads Meeting - calendar updates should be kept current. More than one hour should be a calendar entry.
- Jill Skotko has been appointed Interim Head of Personnel.
- Balanced scorecards will be going away.
- Golden memory is on its way - to be passed on for snack administration. Winston has it this week.
- Rumor that Adobe is buying Macromedia.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Nets #4 - Verify Patron - minor cosmetic change needs to be made.
- RIR #1 - computers older than 2002.
- Orders - received notice via SYSHELP that the first order of 25 Dells was in Orlando. Be on the lookout for delivery today or tomorrow. They will need to be updated before distributing.
- Home use software - Bill will follow-up.
- WIN 2003 server software has been received. It was the holdup on progressing to AD. Next semester, we will update the domain controller.
- Paul Losch - 2 laptops and the off-site projector taken to the Salaam conference.
- Windows updates - automatic did not work on all machines. Two more updates came out this morning. The second update was for XPsp2 and .Net framework service pack 1.1. Last week's updates - Xerox server tried to restart, didn't know its name. NT2R1 restart caused back-up failure.
Software Projects Status
- Outages - Web server not responsive on Sunday. Remote restart cleared the problem.
- Backup to disk project is still on.
- West - more updates. Have heard 150 for total number of public computers.
- W2K3 Domain Controller upgrade - will bring it up to 4.0, then upgrade.
- Web server migration - Enterprise Server 2003 software received - will take the Compaq box down to bare metal.
- AD - W2K3 software - will start next semester break.
- AFA - not completely changed to Security Console - lack of continuity. It is clearing OK. Music will be the next location. SUS bat update will not work with the security console. Will require liaison intervention to run updates. Will says to test it, manual updates - Trend login script will not run. All command line runs with public user will not work. Trend in the background should update. Public does not update - have all been done manually. Will suggests checking on this. Question is: what is the gain? Can log in as an individual and run updates. Will says to invite Public Service liaisons to training at AFA.
- Checking into more server space - different type of storage.
- ILLIAD upgrade to process OCLC - scheduled for April 22.
- EShare replacement for RefExpress
- ALEPH link checking - done. ALEPH marc decoder.
- Patron Update frequency - working on automating.
- DLC lessons learned - Phase Two - 9-point presentation put together by Ying.
- PD/Permissions database - still awaiting data from Jim Cusick.
- Ephemeral Cities - MS component in tracking database to make it more robust.
- SysRequest - Cynthia - new logic - whether it is editable or visible - 46,000 different combinations possible.
- Mark is doing a presentation in Martinique for a week.
Student and Department Happenings
- WebStats - will wait.
- Metalib on FCLA server.
- Discussion of moving HSS folders: WebDir to WebDir 2.
- LibWeb2 - programming - moving it will break it. Winston will clean up the test stuff.
- Need to thin it all down to what is really used. Contribute makes 3 previous copies by default. Tom requested users change it to just one.
- Archiving the Web site is part of the repository.
- Wednesday is the last day of classes.