Systems Staff Meeting Notes
March 28, 2005
March 28, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Fetzer, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Mark Sullivan, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 3/21/05
- Division Heads Meeting this morning - Library Council has decided to distribute surveys where you will account for what you do everyday at your job. They are looking where there is slack for new projects. The process should only take 15 minutes a day. The software crew brought up the fact that they have the Software Task Tracker. Another concept will be that we are encouraged to think through all new projects. Bill wants PAULA to be used by the other Support Services departments. The Department Heads meetings are held every Monday at 9:00 AM.
- Library all-staff meeting will be held on April 7, 9-10AM in the MSL conference room.
- Staff opinion surveys - be honest and straight-forward.
- Will is scheduled to be out Thursday, March 31 - Friday, April 8. Winston will be the acting head of Systems in his absence.
- We have been authorized to send people to Linux school. Classes are in April and June. Techs will try for June.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Ann #6 - Expansion of Trouble Tickets - has to be approved by Dale. Could possibly all be routed to Systems (students) and then dispersed accordingly.
- Orders - Bill should be completing an order of 25 Dell workstations.
- MS home use software order - still working on it.
- Is there a distribution list for the rest of the remaining stock of Dells? Will probably go to HSS&S.
- Do we have room to store the incoming 25 machines? Yes.
- Firefox updates announced - no response from liaisons. Assume all is well.
Software Projects Status
- Web slowness, backups disconnect. Moved page file; still has issues. Need to move it to a new server. Migration tool is available - tentative move in June (during the semester break). Waiting for the MS 2003 server software. NT8R - upgrade it first, then migrate NT8.
- Greenstone server - Linux finally installed by Dell last week. Took the guy a couple of hours to complete. Will to assign permissions, Gus and the DLC crew will install the software.
- Verify Patron - installed on four machines in AFA with no complaints. This afternoon Geoffrey will show Tisha how to install it; then we can seal the pattern. Geoffrey will start on training: (1) how to install (2) management. Only the public services liaisons need to be trained.
- Backup to Disk - drives to NT2R - running out of time waiting for tape drive version - have been doing both - on hold during Will's absence next week.
- AD - nothing new - waiting on MS Win2003 software.
Student and Department Happenings
- ILLIAD upgrade - Winston's project.
- Eshare upgrade for Ref Express - Winston talking to Jana.
- SQL Server 2005 - testing the beta version - none of our Web projects will work with it until the Web server is upgraded to Win2003.
- ALEPH link checking - Chris is working on the conversion.
- DLC Tracker v. 1.1 was released - by Monday, Erich had a list of 48 items - can be divided into three types of problems: data corrections, code modifications and database changes. These will be managed through SysRequest Programming Requests. Phase One did not have the program specifications listed. Phase Two and above will all go through SysRequest. Plan is for three phases.
- Friday snack discussion. Cynthia will cover this Friday.