Systems Staff Meeting Notes
March 21, 2005
March 21, 2005
Present: Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 3/14/05
- Geoffrey took a new shooter to the range - a 19 year-old girl. She hit three bull's eyes in a row. Beginner's luck?
- First Systems Meeting with Will at the helm. He wants to meet with everybody individually to get familiar with what they're working on, if they need help, etc.
- General expectations - Systems should keep performing at the same level as when Bill was the department head.
- Goodies on Friday - we will rotate responsibility amongst the staff.
- Gators lost.
- Support Services Division heads meeting this morning - discussed the possible quick move of LAD. If they do invoke the 120-days to vacate clause, some of the collection can go to ALF, maybe some to the vacated Law School storage spot and we will need to secure a third option. Our software unit will be responsible for any programming changes needed to modify the request system. Whether LAD has to move or not, we should have a 120-day evacuation plan intact, just in case. Bill would like to expand the Trouble Ticketing system to track the entire Support Services Division.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- NT4, NT8 weirdness? Had one report of slowness this morning. Will to check on it.
- Orders - More Contribute has been ordered - last ones on the shelf went out.
- Bill's approval on SysRequests to go to Will now.
- MS software order - home use software order still uncertain. Will to check on it.
Software Projects Status
- NT4 needs a restart. Remote Agent was installed and it requires a restart. Will coordinate with Winston. After 4AM and before 6:30AM is the best time.
- NT2R will also need a restart. The new terabyte drives Will installed are acting flaky. Need a restart to rectify.
- Greenstone server - Dell apparently has only have one technician that knows how to install Linux. We've been waiting for him to show, he had a personal emergency last week. Install is in limbo; if it comes down to it, we may do it ourselves.
- Switch checks - replacements - done. No more problems.
- Geoffrey has been testing Verify Patron on one machine in Special Collections. Will try LAC and AFA next. No longer a roaming profile - local control. New username is LIBPUBLIC.
- AD - waiting for 2003 server software upgrade.
- ILLIAD upgrade - Lori wants the upgrade to v.7.0, foregoing v.6.5. Waiting for that release.
- Eshare/Ref Express - Chris made mods to handle Jana's immediate concerns.
- Verify Patron - not active.
- BBS - security update done by Bill. Suzy is trying to figure out how to change the logo.
- East Florida - pending outside forces - waiting for Jim Cusick to forward information.
- DLC Tracker - rollout this afternoon. They are familiar with using it - it is actually ready for production use. Will set up training for students. Phase One is complete. The next thing we will do is write-up the lessons learned on this project for future programmer training. Should not start Phase Two for at least a month.
- Permission Description Database - idle.
- Cynthia & Chris - SQL 2005 - comes out mid-year. Testing now to upgrade our system - seeing if there are any problems now so we can move to the new version without incident.
- Winston met with Lawan, Julia Allen and Jimmie - Link Checking - used to get a huge Web page from NOTIS that FCLA would produce. They would run a check on the links to see if they are valid. We're no longer using NOTIS. They found something in ALEPH that they'd like us to turn into a Web page so they can check links. There are about 70,000 links - some have to be excluded. This used to be done on a monthly basis. Many libraries do this; it needs to be done. We will have a small project to convert.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom is out.
- Web server cleanup - Web server has been low on space. Users of Contribute and Dreamweaver have their local workstations crash when there is not enough space. Another reason for cleanup - it will be moved to another server soon.
- Minimum wage increase of $1.00. Students will all be returning for the summer.
- Be sure the Systems calendar is updated and correct.