Systems Staff Meeting Notes
March 7, 2005
March 7, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 2/28/05
- Ying's daughter, Celina, turned three.
- Gators beat Kentucky.
- Great weekend for gardening.
- Bill will ship off to Texas for LibQual in the next few months.
- Suzy will be giving a paper in San Diego this summer for Peer Review about graphic novels.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Support Issues - accelerating the public workstation security to freeze-out means making the process happen faster.
- Order for server software - Bill called Donna Doty in Purchasing to find out the correct procedure. She passed on the number for the new Dell rep. The Dell rep dutifully sent us a quote for all of the software and we took the order up to Library Purchasing for processing. Dolapo called today to say that VP Conlon called her and said we have to purchase it through the University Bookstore, not Dell. Bill told Dolapo to go ahead and order it from the Bookstore.
- Part of that software order will be two boxes of Win XP for Facilities. When the library door located just outside of Systems is finished, it will have the University central security system on it, which requires XP to run the software.
- Greenstone server - Dell gave Will a new name to contact regarding installation. He has not received any reply from that person. Need to get a hold of someone soon.
- Query about D4 - how to pull the registry key. Need to send out the instruction again.
Software Projects Status
- Time Spam - we are still finding it in various places, not just Special Collections. HSS&S had a lot - it was awful. Need to get this fixed soon.
- Switch checks/reconfig/replacement - on hold with Bobbie out.
- AD - has play in the orders we are trying to get out.
- MSL on VOIP - they are going into the walls and labeling wires - may show up by the end of the month to change MSL over to VOIP.
- ILLIAD upgrade to process OCLC numbers - there are several things going on. Lori does not want to upgrade until version 7.0 comes out (in a few months). There is a slowness problem. The next version supports clearing out (archiving) old transactions. She says we will live with it the way it is, so this project is currently on hold.
- RefExpress - things have been broken with it for a while and we were not informed until last Friday. Ref Express was recently bought out again. Jana wants us to talk to the new vendor and get a demo of it in to test. (Jana pointed out some small problems with the current version and Chris is working on it).
- Verify Patron - fine-tuning - need do a real test profile on some machines. Will make a user and a profile and go that route.
- BBS security upgrade - yet another - now at version 2.13 (two little text file changes). It is now updated and patched.
- East Florida: on hold - waiting for Jim Cusick to give the files.
- LibQual survey goes out tomorrow.
- DLC Tracking - two more changes before roll out. Mark Sullivan is now working on the project as an OPS student - 10 hrs/week.
Student and Department Happenings
- Jana approached Tom about the Ref Express page - wants to streamline the number of pages the users have to flip through.
- Tom - more requests for statistics. Basically, they just want to know the number of times a page has been visited. Tom is recommending Desktop Analyzer. It does not require installation on the server. It can answer the simple requests.
- The students have returned from Spring Break.