Systems Staff Meeting Notes
February 28, 2005
February 28, 2005
Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Academy Awards discussion.
- Hunter S. Thompson discussion.
Support Issues and Liaisons
- Greenstone Linux server - waiting for installation. Dell states that they do not support Linux. Trying to sort this out.
- Martha says we can start buying new computers. We've started moving out some of the old ones.
- Gary really wants us to accelerate the moving of public workstation security to freeze-out. This means the machine will reboot after each user and bring up a new version of the machine.
Software Projects Status
- ILLIAD was out on Saturday. Bill got it going again. A restart fixed the problem.
- ALEPH was down on Sunday.
- Time spam - Special Collections had three machines that were checking for a time server - flooding the switch every ¾ a second to a non-existent time server. This bothers the switch and slows down the Web. It can also affect the SQL server. We have reached critical mass on that server - to the point at which something like this can wipe us out.
- SQL has been a bit slow this AM. Will check on it.
- On Friday, we turned over the reset passwords on the MSL switches to Russ Poole (CNS). We're almost out of the networking business in MSL. Our address plate stays on the switch.
- AD- Bill had a meeting on Friday with two VPs: Mark Hoit (IT) and Mike Conlon (Data Infrastructure). They want all campus to use their version of AD. They'd like the new Library West to be in that group. What's in it for us? (If we stay with MS, we will be assimilated.) Authenticating GatorLink IDs seems to be the answer. It would be a win for everybody if the student could get to any server at Circa from the Libraries. They will think about it. The target date is fall of next year. We don't have to go directly into the UF AD tree. We can migrate over with our own version. They claim they will only have minimum control over it. In converting to AD their way, we will spread our pain over a wider area - renaming all users, domains, servers, etc. If we do it ourselves, we can keep most of the names. We will continue converting our servers to 2003 and see how it goes. Need to figure out how long it will take.
- ILLIAD server - First Search and World Cat - request that it forward the OCLC number. Winston is researching. ILLIAD upgrade has been done, but there is some manual things in First Search that need to be tweaked. Winston is working on it - trying to get the passwords to get into First Search.
- Verify Patron - on hold. Trying to get a different scheme to delete history. Bill says if we're close to finishing, then get it down.
- Facilities - Space Allocation Report is done.
- Facilities - Point of Sale - Russ needs help.
- BBS - Bill installed a security update.
- DLC Tracker - big demo tomorrow. Ying hopes to have it done by then.
- Permissions Database - waiting for Bill's review.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom is working on yet another calendar: important dates for staff - requested by Martha.
- Vera will be working this week during Spring Break. She should definitely be here to cover the phones during lunch hours.