Systems Staff Meeting Notes
February 14, 2005
February 14, 2005
Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Will is back from the Linux classes. He is now a Linux guru. He reports that the class was good - covered the fundamentals - thinks Winston could start at the Admin level. It was quality instruction from a good vendor with a good course book. We will send more people through this. Will should now get all Linux problems. Bill says it is a programmer's dream - GUI front end, need universal application suite (Office). WINE add-on allows Office to run under Linux.
- No minutes to review. Also, desk student is out.
- Suzy Covey had a floral extravaganza for V-Day.
- Macro Language - Resource Services - ALEPH. We bought 100 copies of Macro Express, now it's a group project - North Florida, etc. Now they are trying to get it on state contract. There will be strange bugs.
- SQL server is slow today.
- FireFox - when you first change the parameter, it allows you to spoof the header. Works in everything but IE. Tried turning it off - only holds for a session. Installed new version. They did not change the version on the developer's site. Firefox permits each user, so it has to be done for all users. This is a problem on shared computers - big problem on public. We've done what we can, but there's no good solution.
Software Projects Status
- Switch checking.
- Updates - Classroom 308 download did not restart.
- The second Wednesday of every month will be busy due to MS releasing updates on the prior Tuesday.
- NT8 restart - updates last week were not for NT 4.0. SUS auto will not go on NT servers.
- MS is still sponsoring seminars for conversion.
- IIS is not supporting ASP - files were in roots of switches. They were not really working as switches, more like repeaters. Packet leakage.
- West - consistency desired - response is to want them all to work alike. Same stuff, not necessarily new - based on unsystematic sampling. Faculty generally think students using their laptops is fine - that it is not necessarily our duty to provide. Induction plate mouse pad actually recharges cell phones, calculators and laptops. There will be a sea of outlets, maybe just live wires.
- ALEPH/PeopleSoft data transfer - hasn't happened yet. Troy sent a message saying they think the interface is correct - Elmore will do vendor corrections.
- SysRequest bug fixed.
- East Florida database - working on it.
- DLC Tracker - big meeting tomorrow.
- Permissions database - complete - testing bulk loader.
- Elections database - report error.
Student and Department Happenings
- No reference to SYSHELP in any page designs found.
- Dreamweaver could be a drain on the system.
- Debra should be back tomorrow.
- PeopleSoft - normal timekeeping should have resumed.