Systems Staff Meeting Notes
January 31, 2005
January 31, 2005
Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 1/24/05
- Bobbie's husband, Carlton, got a new job as the building inspector for Putnam County. Wisely, Bobbie kept her gated parking while he worked for PPD.
- The librarians are set to have a big meeting with Dale.
- Library Council: Institutional Repository - digital copies of intellectual property. Html & PDF format. Survey of campus faculty regarding 'how you feel about things' resulted in a general feedback of distrust. Comments about and from the Library faculty - librarians got together with Librarian senators and outside facilitator hired. Dale was asked to respond, but did not have anything specific to respond to - now a meeting is scheduled between the librarian and Dale. Library self-governance: constitution and by-laws - director. This will all be gone through in greater detail in future meetings.
- Cynthia went out to lunch with a group of people recently and the topic turned to the Library Web page. Their overall beef about it was how difficult it is to search, especially journal searches. These comments are worth hearing - but people increasingly want a more Google-like search for everything they do. Some things require more library knowledge to accurately search. Martha has recently formed a group, the Resources Navigation Taskforce, to address these types of issues. We can use Google as an outside search engine, but it really does not serve the same purpose.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- RIR - #1 DLC received scanners, not printers. They have now been received and installed. The lingering problem with the check-in procedure had been resolved: a return to business-as-usual.
- General network variances - slow down in the server room. The problem seems to jump around, mainly NT4 and NT8. We are running a network monitor and checking the stats on the switches. Are the Semco video servers sending multi-cast? May put it on its own switch or subnet. With a private IP, they can only talk to one another.
- NT8 stopped responding this morning around 10-10:15AM. High MS Transaction services - had to reboot.
- ALEPH printing - Will needs to check on the specifics of the meeting that has been scheduled.
- NT2 - lack of space on the drive. On Friday, Will moved a 10 mg folder to NT2R - suddenly 100 mg was freed. He moved the file back - 82 mg was available. On Saturday, the message transfer service stopped again. Will started it again this morning.