Systems Staff Meeting Notes
January 3, 2005
January 3, 2005
Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 12/20/04
- Will is building a shelf. Bobbie and Geoffrey are tiling their floors. Cynthia is doing flooring as well.
- Chris celebrated his first married Christmas.
- Bobbie has a new grandson.
- Cynthia's mom has two new cats.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- RIR #2 - Laptops to be surveyed out when new ones arrive? Yes, all of the old ones are to go.
- Lots of orders went out at the end of the year - much is in the queue.
- Upgrade for Trend software on order (through new vendor).
- Software Licensing Services was closed last week and is only open half days this week.
- Ref Express was started again this morning. A liaison had informed us to turn it off over the holidays, but did not specify when it needed to be turned back on. From now on, if we are given a cutoff time, we must know the resume time.
- Thursday last week (holiday break) - Jason from Net Services called Bobbie. He was apparently told by the Journalism liaison, Patrick, that it was OK for him to finish the installation in Journalism. Bobbie told him that he could set off the alarms in that building, so he should wait until this week - when work resumes for the staff. Today, Bobbie had an email from Patrick saying that Net Services had been there, but the threshold had not been installed. Patrick wanted to know if Bobbie had it. Bobbie informed him that he needed to contact Facilities who would, in turn, contact Physical Plant. Well, then Patrick informed her that they weren't really finished with the installation. Bobbie told him to wait until the contractor was finished, then contact Net Services. The moral of this story is to not inform people to come in and do work without making advanced arrangements. Outside forces must be babysat - let in/out. Generally, it is not a good idea to allow for construction during off hours.
- TILT server will need to be reconfigured. Requires down time. HSSS reorganization is complete. Marilyn Ochoa will be the main contact - she is out today - Check with her for down time for TILT.
- HDs for NT4 need to be installed. This will also require down time. Should probably do it after 5PM. Need to make sure that the back-up for sign-on (failover) is working. Even if WINS is down, it would require downloading the whole file. Should be able to install LM Hosts file. It would be a good idea to do this tonight. Will not restart the WINS server; we're only adding drives to RAID. Can add online - hot swap - will put them in and then reschedule the reallocation and remapping. Can reschedule the restart after 2AM.