Present: Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 12/13/04
- Geoffrey has returned from his cruise.
- Christmas luncheon tomorrow at the University Center Hotel - leave at 11:30AM.
- Systems Probability Study Group - meets every Wednesday and Friday from 12PM-1PM in the Systems Conference room.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- The fire escape has been checked - there are a few items left behind by the homeless guy, but no one seems to be living there anymore.
- Marvin is back - seems OK. Barbara Oliver has been out sick.
- There has been a plague of MacroExpress requests. Soon, the entire Library will be using it. We're getting ready to order a dozen more licenses. There is one side effect - using ALEPH and MacroExpress together will result in an error message that will install a new video driver. Also, certain keyboards are troublesome.
- Laptop ordering - detoured then processed - they wanted us to order from a different vendor on state contract - then went with the original one since the price was cheaper. The old laptops that these will be replacing are to be surveyed out.
- Has a scanner been delivered to Education for E-Reserves? Yes, Brian picked it up Friday morning.
- SQL server - new driver on the nic - driver may be doing a work-around. Network errors between boxes and switch. Errors on multiple ports - suspect switch.
- Things that used to work and now don't are often referred to as having 'bit rot'. We will never again use that term outside of Systems, under any circumstance.
- Issues are legion.
- And yet, there is a move afoot to expand the program.
Software Projects Status
- Exchange server - the problems seem to have cleared up since the space issues were resolved.
- Suzy has been clearing out the public folders. We may lock out people from creating top-level folders. We've found public folders with cute baby pictures, love letters, etc.
- ALEPH printing - another change to be installed.
- NT4 changeover - upgrade should be easy, but we're having difficulty installing Windows NT 4.0 on a box to test. We're continuing to try - will see how it goes.
- Computers in West - surveys are out.
- Moderately painful Library Council meeting last week - nothing consequential to us - they are going to change the requirements for the LTA lines. Martha threw in a good word for the Systems series.
- Upcoming minor project - Geoffrey is going to go through the Web site documents and update information.
- ALEPH/PeopleSoft permissions - still struggling with requests. Dean's Menu and other Legacy apps turn out to be the way to access PeopleSoft. People Soft has roles - Web window - returns to the old system and brings into Web display. Must have CNS account. This could endure for years.
- East Florida Project - thought we were finished months ago. They just finished OCR-ing the cards. The data is pretty bad. They may try to resend the data. Public interface won't be ready for a while.
- DLC Tracker - demoed last week to an unexpected audience of twelve. Looking good. Several attendees requested beta versions to play with - no real data yet. Bill cautions: the minute it becomes a "pilot project", shut it down.
- Position Description database - has a good structure; Bill will review.
Student and Department Happenings
- Current: sensitive material eradication - Tom has heard from all departments. Admin was the last to respond. All are now in compliance.
- Upcoming: cleaning up dead brush from the Web server. There are cases of departmental folders stacked four deep. This is problematic. Contribute rollback should be set to one. Nothing should be on the server that is not actively being used.
- Students will be here Monday and Tuesday, and then they're gone. Please answer the phones when they ring.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated December 21, 2004
by Debra Fetzer