Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- ALEPH outage on Saturday - for about four hours. Turned out to be an Oracle problem. FCLA list was the notice - CNS monitored - Bill was contacted and he called CNS. Message also left on the Systems voicemail.
- Should Bill be kept notified when we increase the port count? Yes, please notify him each time the list is updated.
- No more on VOIP.
- Need to order barcode readers.
- Need to order new laptops for checkout.
- TILT server still hanging on.
- We are seeing a sharp increase in the number of spyware infections on Library workstations. The most common way this happens is for a user to go to a Web site that offers some kind of free service or program.
- We are also seeing more sophisticated phishing schemes.
- Geoffrey and Bill just spent a fair amount of time disinfecting a machine. It had so much spyware on it that the different types were fighting for control of the machine, rendering it useless.
Software Projects Status
- No changes on the regulatory front.
- NT4 changeover - Will is still trying to track the current license count.
- ALEPH printing - nothing new. LAC workstation having problems - also, Michael Jay. His seems to be related to permissions.
- PeopleSoft permissions - proceeding, but there are still permissions problems. Firefox may not open PeopleSoft sites. IE is often the only browser that works. That's OK. Firefox can't use ActiveX. Time reporting for Friday did not go through. The system seems to be getting worse, not better.
- St Nick - we have something for Rita to review this week. Chris has been working on it. It is a complicated project with 6 stored procedures cataloguing records for children's magazines. She wanted a comprehensive union list - which is basically an index.
- Trouble Ticket Viewer has been modified to show date ranges.
- Cynthia is working on the delete function in Verify Patron. Geoffrey notes how the delete function is not working on public machines in AFA, Maps and Docs. Downloaded Internet files are being marked as still in use because of their long file names (70-80 characters, illegal characters). There are now too many things on the Web that defy standard delete commands. May have to go back to freeze-out. We can test it on XP to determine if it is more secure. It is only doing this on four machines so far, but it could easily be an epidemic. We'll bring up the scenario and Bill, Geoffrey and Winston will look into it.
- Design is underway for the Authorizations Database - position description entry format.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom Minton returns tomorrow.
- Suzy has been backing the Web stuff in his absence.
- Link to the catalog on the Library Web page.
- Students - motivational conference seems to have made an impact.
- Systems Holiday Luncheon. Bill will schedule it, make sure our Systems calendar is accurate and up-to-date.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated December 14, 2004
by Debra Fetzer