Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 8/2/04
- Winston is stuck in Georgia - car troubles.
- Geoffrey advises to beware of late-season shrimp.
- Culligan water - we finally have some. Eight bottles, in fact. No bill yet. Calling Mike at ext. 5913 will get you emergency deliveries.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Status of PO orders - unknown, Betty Mitchell has been out. No word.
- P-Card orders ongoing.
- Education break-in - two more boxes on Tuesday. They revamped the operating system.
- Announcement was made regarding moving away from IE browser use. Use Firefox when possible.
Software Projects Status
- At the same time Education was hit, IE machines on campus were compromised. Lock outs flourished. The compromised machines were internal. This situation can recur.
- Physical security issues - reports of desks and physical effects having been rearranged. When this happens, it is important to send notice to Facilities of a physical security breach, especially if it occurred during a time when the area was thought to be locked and secured.
- ALEPH printing - not working well - only some stuff that is set up will print - no email. Rich will investigate.
- Public workstations - made the announcement to liaisons. The documents will be put up on the Web.
- Lock out for external drives - decided to drop it for now. Have been looking to no avail.
- Ed local admin passwords changed once again.
- DLC Tracker - huge database - more than 20 tables. Ying did a lot of data transfer last week. Coding in C-Sharp still ongoing.
- POS/Inventory has rolled to Facilities. Russ called this morning with a couple of permanent errors when trying to access the Personnel database. Could be his permissions.
- Cynthia & Chris have been working on the East Florida Papers for Special Collections. 16,000 index cards - information from the 1700-1800s - they are creating a search/browse database for it.
Student and Department Happenings
- Template conversion - people are doing okay. Some do not follow directions, not saving it as HTML only.
- The templates will be changing to real template format - where the header/footer areas are actually locked.
- The new Library Web page is up. Tom is also working on a new faculty-oriented site.
- Web authoring software - not everyone needs a powerful editor. We will have two editing tiers: Dreamweaver (higher level) and Contribute (lower level). Contribute is more like a word processor. It will make it easier to change information without modifying the way the page looks. Should save money and make the site look better, more uniform.
- Please give Tom feedback on the new Library Web site. Ha has already heard positive things from users with dial-up - how fast it loads.
- Tape conversion is ongoing - not so smoothly - some will not copy.
- Students - Grace will be working during the break.
- Fall students: Grace Miller, Lisa Gaul (returning) and Luiza Bretas (new hire).
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated August 17, 2004
by Debra Fetzer