Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 11/24/03
- Has everybody got their Christmas tree up?
- Geoffrey has all of his Christmas shopping done.
- Martha and Carol love their printers.
- Martha and Carol are part of our Culligan water-buying team. Bill has volunteered to deliver jugs to them when necessary.
- All Systems staff have been changed to a 6:15 AM access (due to parking dilemmas). Cynthia is considering a scooter purchase to cope with parking.
- Ann #7 Port-a-Potty tippage Bill noticed it knocked over on Thanksgiving. Bobbie informed Steve of the situation and it now appears to have been removed.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- TMT meeting the critical book drop issue has been resolved. It is now installed along Buckman Drive. A Western Flyer on pneumatic wheels (with a cover) will be used to transport books from the drop.
- The Retrieval System is scheduled to begin on January 6th. The Library will be opened starting on Jan 2nd. There will be a weekend + 2 days where there will be no retrieval, but we will be open for business. The Ref desk staff may have a rough time that weekend.
- Discussion of the small (maybe 10 participants) library closing protest on the plaza last week.
- Room 1 punch down and cables data, electric, phone should all be useable by Wednesday. Students have proposed that we should give them any excess computers. There will be no net reduction in the number of public computers. Students will have a new space in Tigert devoted to public computing we may transfer any excess inventory there. We will not be responsible for them at this point.
- Broken CDRW in DLC (Randall Renner) it is impossible to get response from Sony Bill says to just order a new one.
- Current issue is where to hold the meetings. Maybe 1st floor of MSL East conference room is booked.
Software Projects Status
- Patch/virus software Will is scanning subsets its not picking up all machines. Trend Will is getting closer, but some are still on the old port it is not auto-changing the port at update. Ran the IP transfer tool, but it still shows the old port.
- Push patch software running and attempting to push patches not working yet
- CNS is getting ready to establish a policy all mail services machines must be registered. If its not registered, no mail will be routed outside. They are also going to phase in having to authenticate to use campus relay. Bill has been drafted to draft the initiative. Managed node security continuing issue of password & ID verification. 250 Win98 boxes in the classroom cant afford to buy hardware or licenses.
- TILT server is running. PHP, MySQL done.
- GIS Tomcat server trying to get it to work had to change the port.
- Storage retrieval no update.
- FRDI meeting to demo final version done, they like it, installed on all machines.
- DLC meeting last Monday Ying & Mark will redo DLC Tracking database in C Sharp.
- Joe & Ying had a short meeting GIS is now higher priority.
- SysRequest attachments should be done today Bill has been receiving lots of test messages. Print version Cynthia figured out how to inject page eject between attachments.
- ALEPH support Winston has a meeting next week with Mary Anne Daniel.
Student and Department Happenings
- Tom has taken over the Web Master duties.
- Nicoles last day is this Wednesday. Laura next week.
- Systems Christmas Luncheon Tuesday, December 16th. Well leave the office at 11AM try for the University Hotel Conference Room or Olive Garden.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated December 15, 2003
by Debra Fetzer