Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
- Server room AC they will be installing a small, 2-ton auxiliary unit which will hang from the wall. It should not take up space and they should be installing it any day now. The agreement is that as soon as the construction on West is completed, this unit will be removed and something more up-to-regulation will be installed.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- BDF no news.
- Early HSS&S move they want to do it a week ahead of time. Well try to accommodate, not under VOIP. The CNS crew cant start until November 20. The earliest we can be done wiring for computers and phones is December 8th they want to move December 9th. They were originally scheduled to move on December 17th.
- Printer problems in Documents prompting for password need to fix print queues. New server may handle this better than NT3 did. The queue was timing out, not the printer.
- Bobbie spotted a phone jumper in room 308 the phone people are stealing data ports. Need to check with them and see whats going on.
- Prime Recognition software would not run on a DC machine. There was 99% (10 Gig) free space - but it could not defrag. Three-fourths of the Terrabyte server is empty. Bill has never seen a drive so fragmented.
Software Projects Status
- Security servers Johnson control box will be housed in the server room it will need phone wire. Metasys and security servers are still on ARC net.
- Driver replacement problem elsewhere, not so much here. A Gateway 4200 in Education did pull Intel drivers when doing the critical updates. The automated critical update is set to download and install. The problem also occurred in Facilities. The Libraries have agreed to purchase Patch Management Software still negotiating with UF Software Licensing Services.
- DNS server Will is working on it under W2K. Next he will bring over the config files and disconnect from upstream.
- We will be buying an 800-client access license for Server 2003. Domain name change forthcoming. Will be using the tug method for this conversion.
- SQL server move Thanksgiving weekend.
- Winston emailed Joe Aufmuth regarding the JAVA servlet engine. He got no reply. Erich thinks weve already ordered it. Accounting may have paid for it, it may be encumbered the grant has expired. There is a free product that may address their needs Winston has Joe evaluating it.
- Storage Retrieval demoed on Wednesday. Cynthia and Hilton both attended. It is done for now.
- Ying Aerial changes they will demo tomorrow to the review committee.
- Working on reports for FRDI.
- ALEPH in flux.
Student and Department Happenings
- Although not yet officially announced, Tom Minton has been hired to take over the Web master duties, part-time, while Suzy is on sabbatical.
- Early timecard deadline. TEAMS folks, dont forget to submit your slip to cash out your annual leave. Cash out by 12/4 on 12/12 paycheck.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated November 10, 2003
by Debra Fetzer