Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Discussion on hot, spicy food.
- Bill passes out two handouts: one charting the UF charge for ports and one from UF Personnel about change management. UF Port Charge - $8. Breaking even for us is $5 per port. This charge is 30-60% too high. No explanation as to why it costs them so much more than us. The charge does not include Internet access. Change Management – TMT (Transition Monitoring Team) – Trudi sent out an email today detailing the names of those on the committee and a letter stating their objective. The handout on change is modeled on the steps in the book, “On Death and Dying” by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. It is essentially grief management.
- Cynthia’s Mom bragged about how great the Libraries handled the virus threats on their computers.
- Facilities has been roaming around East, looking at phones for VOIP – getting a count – however, we are currently not doing VOIP in East. We are going ahead with VOIP in MSL. We have only spare capacity on our phones in East. We will be reducing the phones to vital need only. Desktop phones will stay; others will be removed. We will also be getting a new air conditioner for the server room/tape vault. It will be bought with renovation funds. Note made that the temperature seems more balanced in East.
- Weekly Moves Meeting – Tuesday 9AM – Docs move to MSL is proceeding. Fiber pull in East is scheduled for this week. Will and Bobbie got the housing for the switch in East and demoed it for Steve Shorb. He says it is at an acceptable noise level for room 450 (housing 2 Directors and Personnel). Rich is still not moving. MSL 2nd floor public drops – still unknown where these will be and the cabinets have yet to be moved.
- There is currently a hiring freeze within the Libraries. No extra Analyst position will be made available. This is all due to the move.
- Orders - nothing major, one emergency order for Erich.
- Geoffrey is updating the laptops. From now on, when they are reserved, they must be examined prior to being checkout. We will need to check what version of the virus scanner is running, that all Windows updates have been done and that it is not infected. Bill, Bobbie, Geoffrey or Will can update/check the laptops. We will need at least four hours notice before checking out a laptop. This includes the video projector/laptop. Bill assures that people will be informed of this change in policy. Laptops controlled by other departments and Directors should also be kept up-to-date.
- Liaison Meeting - explicit instructions given to liaisons regarding the urgency of virus updates. People dragged. In the first wave of Net Services scans, we had only one vulnerable machine. As the surveys continued, many machines showed up un-patched. People had trouble getting the SoBig virus scans done, so Geoffrey worked up a set of procedures. Firday afternoon (4:45 PM), Bill got a call from Dale Canelas who had received a call from Chuck Frasier from Net Services and he was reporting to her that some of our machines were still showing vulnerability. The machines were in the process of updating, those working on them stayed after 5PM to complete. Dale was not pleased.
- Library Council – will mention getting the Liaison program back on track in the next meeting. People are slacking; these updates are a serious matter. If we know of a vulnerability, it must be fixed immediately. Two departments are in receivership for no liaison support and have been dropped form the program. We have to be up-to-date.
Software Projects Status
- Another major swing in the SoBig virus. The last few waves have been from the same, unknown author. It will cause your machine to become a spam relay point.
- We need to come up with an explicit formula on rebuilds. Need to maintain a list of active machines on the network and do random scans.
- Geoffrey’s friend in Australia warns of a kiddie script virus. It is critical that our virus scanners are at 617 or better.
- Student/Patron Updates – running today.
- Employee/Patron Updates have been moved up by 3 weeks. Now all of the info is available on the first day of classes. Both updates to include UF IDs. Employees to run after lunch today.
- SysRequest – minor changes.
- Web master position – will the hiring freeze effect this position? Unknown.
- LiveStats – it is back down again.
- Students are back.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated September 8, 2003
by Debra Fetzer