Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 6/30/03
- Treasure hunting discussion.
- Cynthia has a new electric lawnmower. It works well.
- It’s Rich’s 54th birthday!
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Ann #1 – Bobbie called the cops on her troublesome (firecracker-wielding) neighbors. They were issued a citation – and the noise has ceased.
- Banding on Xerox copies continues; may need to call Xerox.
- Confusion on how to order. Turns out we can have blankets (to some extent) with certain vendors. Next year it will be different, VISA only.
- Bill got forwarded a report of a scam about Spanish lottery numbers – wants you to send your bank account numbers – do not bite!
Software Projects Status
- Evaluation of Centurion software product (Drive Shield) for the public workstations – more robust, but not as sturdy. Won’t work with Group Policy Editor installed first. Don’t know if it would survive an update. Freeze Out is available from the Soda Shoppe; it operates in a similar fashion. Will check out both.
- Fax modems received for Docutek – need to get them up and running, then install software. ILLIAD to follow.
- DLC scanner – received a parallel dongle, will swap for USB – Erich is handling.
- Building projects are on hold.
- Info Commons – scanners are outstanding.
- Campus Security IT policy – Martha checked the Web site and found that the 2/02 policy had been reversed – dealt with workstations, net security, documentation, etc.
- Backups ran (in Will’s absence).
- PAULA security manager mod is done. It does not appear on Bill’s machine.
- Map/GIS server project – working to customize Web pages to use our code. Lots of set-up issues. Lots of research. Unknown when it will be complete, ultimately it depends on Erich and Stephanie.
- Something strange with LASSIE – Jason and Michelle looking into license tracking. Bill says that Docutek is the proven solution for this. They need to check on it.
Student and Department Happenings
- Suzy is working on the staff site again (replacing current toolbox).
- Tapes – everything has been audited and should be in the correct rack/slot. Nine tapes missing – 6 have no copies. ICPSR removal almost complete.
- Kybe maintenance – contract on hold. Trying to save $602. Bill points out that it saves money to have the machines regularly maintained.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated July 15, 2003
by Debra Fetzer