Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 6/23/03
- Staff discussion on fireworks and troublesome neighbors.
- Bobbie Meng turned 50 over the weekend!
- Cynthia painted the ceiling in her house.
- John Ingrams message to all staff regarding the status of Library West construction its accurate there are several plans in the works. The plans are shaped by outside forces, misunderstandings between the architects/construction/us, etc.
- Viral Spam: sobig.e the 5th variant of the virus. It runs two weeks, turns itself off and then dies. It appears to be part of a spamming campaign. The theory is that someone has been hired to do this by mass mailers. They leave no clues no graffiti marks in the code like other hackers. Where it comes from changes each time. Spikes in commercial mailing it is getting to be cyber warfare. Expect sobig.f-z throughout this year.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Announcements #1 - Winston and Suzy have yet to finish the new Harry Potter book.
- Announcements #2 new copier banding streaks at the bottom of the page cant seem to eliminate. May need to call Xerox to correct.
- Equipment for the Info Commons project has been ordered: 20 drives, 20 CDRW, 4 scanners & 2 zip drives.
- Dell workstation configuration bounced Bill is working on a new one.
- Meeting this Thursday may cancel, due to absence for the long holiday weekend.
Software Projects Status
- Public workstations Xerox printing problems adopts zero margin, cant restrict access to subkeys. Geoffrey is narrowing it down.
- Public workstations changing homepage problem Marvin and Geoffrey fixed why the policy editor is allowing this is unknown seems to be a worm and Trojan combo. Page setup settings cannot be Read Only - comes up blank. If the homepage problem is fixed, it breaks the printing and vice versa. We could change keys at logoff Geoffrey is concerned about propagation. Could customize by user sign-on that would be just too many sign-ons, creating an administrative nightmare.
- New servers last tow still in the box, first three are up and running. Waiting for fax modems for NT17 (Docutek). Erich will get NT18.
- Administrative passwords for each area need to create a folder on a server to store them for all Systems staff to be able to access.
- NERDC CICS no password controls next NI meeting, Bill intends on discussing.
- Program passwords special case, do not change that often. Dewey is on a timer sequence has to be changed on a regular basis. Passwords on switches need to change on a regular as well.
- Still no storage facility cant plan on moves no construction has started on MSL walls no idea where people will go room 100, but how many, how it will be configured, is unknown.
Student and Department Happenings
- PAULA mod for security done. This is to hopefully prevent some bizarre folder permission securities that continue to occur. The only person to change any permission on directories and folders will be the person name on the box on PAULA. That person will predominantly be Bill, unless otherwise indicated.
- SysRequest officially rolled out all departments have been contacted, only three have not responded.
- Preservation Book/Film Replacement ongoing.
- GIS with Docs Ying is delving into it.
- Year-end closeout today.
- Student-Patron update to run today.
- Students back this week.
- ICPSR tape removal ongoing. Lori discovered misfiled tapes, need to go through the tape library to verify that all reels are in the correct order and determine if any were erroneously disposed.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated July 7, 2003
by Debra Fetzer