Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 6/16/03
- Two of us are currently reading (and enjoying) the new Harry Potter book.
- New Xerox copier in Systems – works pretty well – there are instructions on the poster next to it – it will collate. Be careful when changing the toner – it has to be opened in two different places before you can extract the old cartridge and install the new one. It goes in sleep mode fast and will turn off after 45 minutes of inactivity, but it comes back up in a minute. When using the auto document feeder, choose the inside feeder to eliminate the slight shadow that appears with the left feeder. It has a job interrupt feature that allows you to run two jobs at once. The help button is good and will display the features. Xerox will provide training if we request it – but most of us feel that is unnecessary.
- Be careful when buying a house in Arizona, near a dam in Florida or by the railroad tracks in California.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Announcements #1 – the movie is called the “Return of the King”.
- Software #4 – test run is scheduled for the end of the month.
- Order out: MSL 1st floor networking project.
- Modems for Docutek project (ILL) on order. Will has one server ready for the project. Remote access control to NT17 required by Docutek. Docutek will run a service – “ERES” (Electronic Document Delivery System). Patrons can fax items they need reserved right to the box.
Software Projects Status
- Outlook Web Access is not working for some IDs. Bill has no idea why. It is not related to password changes. We’ve seen this before, but can’t seem to get around it this time. If anyone has any brainstorms, let Bill know.
- Servers – Will to get the other two up today, then on to MSL.
- Ever-changing wiring projects: we’ll also need to do the remote DOT building out by the airport.
- Bobbie is working on persistent alarm conditions on port matches to the switch.
- Facilities database is done. Should be using it full force on July 1st.
- The new notification screen for public workstations is complete and ready for Geoffrey to distribute. It is in the authentication folder. Bill wants it to be done ASAP. Did you know that 75% of employers monitor their employee’s email?
- Winston met with Joe Aufmuth and Erich – discussed programming within their GIS tool.
- SysRequest – Cynthia to meet with Lori Driscoll on Friday. She still needs to meet with Patrick Reakes, Helen Jane Armstrong and Richard Phillips. They have not responded to her requests. We will officially stop taking paper requests in the new year. We have a link to SysRequest on the Systems Web page and an official announcement has been made. Erich contacted Library Office to change the procedure manual.
Student and Department Happenings
- Stat server is still working. Suzy set one up and it took 20 minutes, as opposed to 20 hours.
- Web Master search – will be reopened again. The position closes July 30.
- Break week – Nikia out after today. Lori will be working all week. Laura is out.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated June 30, 2003
by Debra Fetzer