Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Notice – one of us signed out for fire drill.
- Long weekend coming up.
- Servers “in process”, should ship this week.
- Nothing major broken.
- Password season in the queue.
Software Projects Status
- IFAS cooling less – 110 degrees – had to bypass.
- Business Services Fiber/Hub – fiber cut.
- .org top level domain missing – around January to breakup - Verisign gave up .org – lots of controversy. As of this morning, none of the public servers are there – means .org’s will be dropping off the net. They can be accessed by IP if known or you may find it on a discussion list – Winston can verify .name works. Was the default in ILLIAD, your.site.name. Someone made it a porn site. Defaulted when you exited ILLIAD.
- Will – recovery server – Service Pack 2 caused it to be rebuilt 5 times. Service Packs: do not apply sequentially – after build will take it to MSL. Next step will require DNS changes. First, we’ll test Exchange and then move mailboxes. Smathers NT2 name will quit working – email with SmathersNT2 will bounce. Should be mail.uflib. We need to get a bigger box. Suzy may have a small fix by see name – can leave 2r, create a virtual NT2 (where Exchange will live) then we’d only have to change the DNS address. Will thinks he can give the virtual NT2 the same IP address.
- Campus Security Policy amendment – all software development which talks over the Net has to be reviewed by the unit ISM. Reference HIPPA, Buckley Amendment. Increasing ISM – at the very least, an audit offense. This will be a matter of certifying – flows down hill – will be a checklist – LAWLS LaWeasly.
- SysRequest – Cynthia has not heard from Leilani. MSL is going, RS is going…Special Collections is next. Have to have by the end of the fiscal year – all departments by the end of the month.
- Public Workstation Security – still beating on it.
- DLC – YT production reports.
- UF ID inside NOTIS – on schedule.
- Patron Updates – first run – from Registrar’s records was UUID – Jim Stevens had problems. It ran today, Winston got the list and did the conversion - 22,000, 108 with no SSN – can’t load these into NOTIS. The next update will be UFID – will put the 108 in manually. Skeleton record – have data to work with. Debated, decided to fix it. Next load is in June. SSN field is not required, will need something in that field for the migration to ALEPH. Rich has experimented with generating them without causing a conflict.
Student and Department Happenings
- Suzy tried Friday to uninstall LiveStat and then re-install it on the E drive. The C drive is full.
- Web position – 15 applications and at least one looks very good. They want to hire two weeks after the position closes.
- Students – should be stable.
- SYSHELP – order should be: Bill, then Winston.
- Debra returns on Wednesday of next week.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated June 3, 2003
by Debra Fetzer