Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 4/28/03
- Bobbie’s treasure hunting continues to go well.
- Rich’s nephew is on his way – phase one of the Appalachian Trail – it is going well.
- Cynthia reviews that “X2” is “x-cellent”.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Spelling correction: SpongeBob SquarePants.
- We are currently experiencing a problem with the network – it is confused. The WINS server was relocated on Friday from MSL to Music, due to scheduled outage in MSL over the weekend. It appeared to be running fine at 7PM on Friday. Will returned Sunday afternoon and turned the WINS server off in Music. He returned to MSL, brought up the switches, WINS, etc…everything checked out okay. The W2K servers that are not domain controlled are having problems. ILLIAD is now back up. The Domain Controller was rebooted at 10 AM – it can take up to 45 minutes for convergence – everything should be back up by the end of the meeting. May need to check the master browser. There have not been any reports of printing outages.
- 60 Dells received.
- No word on the 5 servers – they do not appear online on the Dell Order Status page - Debra has left two voicemail messages with Mark Reisman, but he has yet to return the calls.
- Talked to MMM regarding what the Liaisons know and what they’d like to know. We’ll be putting more information up on the Web site – items like a checklist for decommissioning/setting up workstations. It can only be used as a general guide – set ups vary widely from department to department.
Software Projects Status
- Info Commons in West – 18 workstations, 2 with scanners. All will have Office Suite. It will be a general-purpose computer lab environment. It is scheduled to go in effect immediately – prior to any renovations in West. The groundbreaking for West is scheduled for November. We’ll be saving $1 million if we move everyone currently in Library West all at once, primarily over to Library East. Wires will need to be run. 250,000 volumes from MSL will be moved to Room 1 in East. It will be a closed collection. The Documents department will be moved to the first floor of MSL. We are in the process of getting the wiring estimate for this move. In East, we will put most of the staff in the North Tower. Students will once again be out in the first floor hallway – network access unknown at this time. Bobbie notes that she heard the MSL floor plans have changed. No sign-off from NERDC yet. These massive shifts will take place quickly as this year’s fiscal budget end on June 30. The Info Commons is still going in – despite West construction – and it will be carved out of existing machine space.
- Cynthia is training people on SysRequest. She tutored Michael Jay - his request functioned as it should. She needs to schedule a training session with Gary Cornwell.
- Cynthia is also working on Facilities Reports.
- Hilton and Geoffrey have become best buddies. They are working on a program that formats the machine without notifying you and cannot be stopped. There is a problem: if the user does not have permissions, it will not run. This is part of the public sign-on.
- DLC SQL conversion – partially complete, waiting on Erich to decide on the method.
- OPS Tracking – Martha said it is not in use in Resource Services and never will be. DLC may use it.
- UF Directory/Personnel – Winston is working to integrate Personnel with UF stuff – it will pull UF info and add it to our database.
- Trouble Tickets – Winston made changes – it now pulls user id and phone numbers from the UF Directory.
- NOTIS to UF interface – Rich is trying to work out the details – meets with FCLA this afternoon. Record into NOTIS - then have direct billing – should be in place by the end of Summer B. SSN field – should be masked - need the last four digits for ALEPH initiation.
Student and Department Happenings
- Okay, other than updating drag & drop.
- Stats Server – may need to be restarted following the NT8 reboot – will check on it.
- New student hired for the summer: Nikia Wilson.
- Laura and Lori will both be returning for the summer.
- Any calls for the student job can be informed that the position has been filled.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated May 12, 2003
by Debra Fetzer