Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Hilton has discovered Sponge Bob SquarePants. Geoffrey is using that series as a demo in the development of public DVD workstations.
- Richs nephew is going to walk the entire Appalachian Trail. He predicts it will take about 5 ½ months. He will maintain a website, updating his travels.
- Cynthia got her ticket for X-Men 2.
- The beach has been very good to Bobbie she found some good loot with her metal detector over the weekend.
- Bill and Suzy enjoyed their cruise no sickness encountered.
- Microsoft Server 2003 has been released, but its XP technology wont run Exchange 2000 (which we currently use). There have been no announcements about MS SQL. It is unclear if SQL will be embedded in Titanium.
- Office 2003 is delayed until the fall (XML maybe used as the main file). It is a hot prospect, but will be delayed.
- Security Issues Outlook Security Password Bill cracked it without much effort. The password hashes down any extra passwords are easy to break.
- MS updates security patches time stamp D4 as Service all are updating accurately. W32 time will come with other updates.
- Order for 60 Dells has gone out.
- Order for 5 Dell servers has gone out. Will had to speak with Ron at NERDC they were questioning the expense and configuration of the purchase.
- Prospect OCR software for Erich came in today. It was not ordered through Systems.
Software Projects Status
- Lots of stuff in Net Managers BellSouth upgrade on commodity Internet popped out.
- Hilton is working on how to auto-format drives for Public machines (with two hard drives).
- Cynthia has demoed SysRequest to Martha Hruska, Pat Haskins and Carol Drum. A few bugs have been worked out. MSL usually runs their requests through Carol Turner Bill says to keep the queue as is Carol Drum will be the approver. Software Requests must have WSID listed.
- Ying working on data transfer Access to SQL for DLC. Their student, Mark, is rumored to be leaving. He has coded most of their databases in Access. If he leaves, no one will know the code. He may stay on for graduate school. Bill says no more students programming for DLC.
- OPS Task Tracker tracking task performance by students Erich wants to know their productivity. Erich talked to Martha about adding new tasks to the existing program she said it is not used anymore so there was no way to add new tasks to it technical services are not using it. Erich, Bill & Winston need to discuss.
- Cynthia is continuing to work on Point of Sale for Facilities. She is updating the current version. Facilities have been testing and are currently using the reports.
Student and Department Happenings
- Suzy developed a report that apparently has never worked. The person never used the report, so they just found out it does not work. Now Suzy has to rebuild it.
- Finals this week no students starting this Friday. Summer semester starts May 12. Debra has placed an ad for new student hires if you get such a call, please forward it to her phone.
- Bobbie and Will met with Steve Shorb regarding the move of Documents to MSL. He wants wiring estimates. There is also talk of boxing up MSL books for storage at LAD.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated May 7, 2003
by Debra Fetzer