Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Winston’s roof is almost done – architectural shingles.
- Security – excessive downloads on dbf & pdf – no timestamp – we passed it on to Network Security, they responded by asking if we were talking EST. They are still researching.
- Bill and Winston attended a UF ID Implementation ceremony on Friday afternoon (in Martha’s absence). There was a lot of IS patting itself on the back. The Libraries received the “Exception to Applying” award.
- Microsoft has announced new DOS attacks on Win systems. They’ve published a patch, but not for NT series. Every NT server still running old W2K is vulnerable. Net Services has Port 135 filtered. Attack will not go past the routers. It could only hit from inside campus. Can be solved by rebooting the servers. Pre-W2K systems are on the way out.
- Strange email – from staff – one word subject line with a jpeg attached – Patrick Reakes and Marvin have received it. Let Bill know if you see it.
- Received the batch of 30 headless workstations. We’ll probably double the order next time around. Discussion on how the headless machines will be received. Will do two more orders by the end of this fiscal year.
- Software incoming – lots of camera stuff for DLC.
Software Projects Status
- Bill received a query about when there will be wireless in the main library.
- AD – still waiting for implementation – no status change in the past 3-4 weeks.
- Portal is now active – my.uf.edu – log in with GatorLink ID. The Library content is not there yet. The portal people cannot decide how to categorize it. The placement should be seceded soon.
- ILLIAD server filling up with Document Delivery items – Winston has not checked on it.
- Account Record transfer – Winston last week on DLL – Info server API – not maintaining SSN in tables. Winston currently gets and deletes them daily.
- Trouble Tickets – Hilton made a modification- it will automatically insert the user id. Phone numbers will be next.
- Facilities Reports – ongoing.
- Public machines (Info Mall) to get Office and DVD players – Hilton is looking at the registry – will try to put out apps to prevent it from being stolen and have all personalization removed. This is a pilot project; there is no money to finance it now. Will try it out on a couple of workstations, but it will take up a lot of space.
- DLC – review meeting was supposed to be held last week, but Erich forgot about it. He wants the rate of pay from the Personnel database to be entered into the tracking database. It is very complicated. Details need to be clarified with Erich. Also, in the original design, the vendor info was connected with the database. He wants the link broke for quicker access, except in specific instances. Will consider going to drop downs.
- Streaming Video – Virtual Tour of the Libraries – presented by John Ashcraft and CIRCA. It is pretty good. Do not use dial-up.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated April 7, 2003
by Debra Fetzer