Present: Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Winston was in on a meeting with the FSU Library Systems people and the ILL group. They are preparing to do ILLIAD. It will require IIS & SQL server. They are primarily a Novell shop. They have no database. Their department consists of the head of Systems and six techs to do repairs and wiring. They cover about 175 staff stations and 350 public stations. They do have a new director who is shaking things up a bit and increasing their computerization. The visitors were very impressed with our server room and security system. They will probably come up in Active Directory. Will need PDC, BDC and WINS server, domain.
- Security Monday AM, Friday PM three-week old problem passed to Systems by Net Services. Bill and Geoffrey checked it out it was supposedly sharing out Mac OSX virus software. It was either a wrong address or the port was hijacked. Why did we get the report three weeks late? IT is going back through their files to make sure that nothing was missed. It looks like UF is making an effort to capture the intellectual property transgressions. Those caught will be in serious trouble.
- We just received the workstation auditing software (Sitekeeper) on Friday. Will get it installed soon it will sweep the network and keep track of all of our software.
- Various equipment has been received.
- Just ordered $10,000 in digital equipment (for DLC) from Adorama.
- 30 Dell CPUs are in production. Should be in by the end of next week.
- Bill had a strange inquiry from a liaison asking if personal PDAs were prohibited at work. The answer is no.
Software Projects Status
- MSL L206 tested lines on Friday, two lines have to be re-pulled. Syslog has been appropriately updated.
- Meeting of Network infrastructure subcommittee of ITAC no more pilot projects. They are re-thinking the idea of charging by ports. Many large units (CLAS) are not signing up. VOIP in Rinker Hall want to expand no updates. UF is looking at commercial vendors to expand the high-speed access to buildings around town.
- ILLIAD several updates Web site not working this morning. PDFs for electronic delivery are being placed on that server this should not be there, they take up a lot of space. PDFs are strictly for things going out.
- LibQual survey announced last week will come out this week we generate the faculty mailing list, John Bevis at NERDC generates the student list.
- Trouble Tickets improvements ongoing.
- Facilities Point of Sales reports the meat of it is finished, theyve asked for some mods. There is nothing for multi-year support the numbers could be imported will just set up the database for after the next fiscal year.
- PAULA has been stable.
- Grants DLC is trying to enlist people for them Bill must approve first before any staff members sign on to a grant-funded project. The numbers must add up.
- Suzy had a hard time with the Stat server on Thursday. It is OK now. The latest MS security patches caused problems.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 31, 2003
by Debra Fetzer