Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Cynthia has a new kitten.
- Rich & Denise celebrated their 11th wedding anniversary.
Support Issue and Liaisons
- 30 headless computers are on order at Dells whim. There were no widespread screams at the announcement.
- Marthas machine Geoffrey repaired. Network & CDRW cable select and IRQ was wrong.
- Bill: technological miracle - $25 5 port 10/100 Hub 2 minute installation autodetect works amazing.
- Discussion on linking to outside Website.
- Cataloguing full text to Journals otherwise not a Library regulation to have written.
- ALEPH clients downloadable by staff client software replacing NOTIS increased role made it easy NT2R Rich wrote instructions, but theyre not posted yet. He has the path may put Web page in client folder and set it up for authority to access. Rich will send out an announcement this afternoon. May 12 date for switchover has been pushed back. Aim is now for July. If not then, it will really become problematic.
- Ex Libris training for staff trainers is almost finished.
- From the Systems standpoint, the client software is up.
- Support Rich will send a message to Liaisons to try it first, before general distribution goes out to all staff.
- Bill does not foresee hardware problems. If there are support issues, people should talk to their supervisors. It will not be Systems we do not have the tools to handle this. ALEPH is windowed need to think in generic process rather than screen.
- FCLA scheduled Systems change March 20 & 21 Winston and Bill are going along with Rich, who is project coordinator. FCLA has always controlled permissions, now a log-in can actually be tweaked. Table-based on a database engine will definitely change the distribution of library work.
- Reorganization ripple through various moves West addition. Anticipating getting out of LAD to old DOT on 39th Avenue. There are some problems. Government Docs will move to MSL. Network estimates are difficult. May need to remove compact shelving. Wireless access Systems will get estimate, but usually the quality of service is lousy.
- The budget is being reset no continuing funds now all funds will be non-fixed, even if UF gets the same amount departmental distribution.
- Wireless multiple users students & staff do like to use it in the stacks. We wont be able to do it like that again Net Services is in control pretty sweeping changes. Maybe a unit security manager independent of the work area.
Software Projects Status
- Steam outage.
- Meeting today.
- Backups last hurdle would not allow remote install from Wills workstation OK from NT2R.
- NERDC cut its rates by a factor of 10 backups to TAVOILI offsite storage & backups would be a plus. Cost: $6-10,000 per year.
- Room 2 is complete.
- New version of PAULA is being worked on quick drag/crash error corrected.
- Accounting Automation Cynthia has been doing it every morning its a 30 second process hit 3-4 buttons wont be completely automated until Winston returns.
- Ringling indexing problem Bill noticed the strangeness while looking at the database. Vocabulary by Themes apples & oranges produces no records controlled vocabulary how it came to be moved from DLC server to FCLA server.
- DLC Tracking database data entry improvements requested. Copyright info after 75 years it is public domain would like it to be automated very complicated. Bill tells Ying not to do this. It should be automated generating a list is OK, but not having the software change it to the public domain.
- Cynthia is putting the finishing touches on Travel then Facilities database changes. Only one change requested has a provision to exclude special purchases from totals.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 24, 2003
by Debra Fetzer