Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 12/2/02
- Possible power outage on January 13 somewhere in East – notification from PPD – they will be working on the HVAC system. John Humphrey suggests covering up the equipment in room 16. We need to check into this further for more specific information.
- Power outage disaster recap – no failsafe on public workstations. Need NT4 and NT2R to come back. Geoffrey checked the machines in West. KIOSK mode ran Hummingbird and mainframe, nothing else worked. We need WUSER to fail-over to at least Web access at all major public locations. Need to create a new user – Geoffrey is investigating. It could be on a password – one for each subnet. Geoffrey says he may have something ready for testing next week.
- Systems’ “We Survived the Holidays” outing – Friday, January 10, 2003.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Rich is inquiring about the MSL classroom – he looked around and thought there seemed to be a lack of power receptacles. Bobbie said that Rob told her that room was ready to go two weeks ago. Also the use of private IP – Bill says that it is a private IP block, but uses specific IPs – it should not be a problem on sites requiring cookies.
- Log-on logging – will be locally set.
- Software #2 – should be Aerial, not Ariel.
- Replacing UPS’s damaged in power outage – need to check with Barbara for protocol.
- Digital camera is on order for Bruce Chappell’s Cuba project (document scanning). All but the plate glass will be sent down there with him. When it arrives, we need to get it to him ASAP and train him on how to use it.
- Barcode readers have not yet been received. If not in after lunch, will check with John Humphrey – then Greg Flowers.
- DLC server down – DLC L2 & L4. Dead power supplies.
- Bobbie reports ants in room 2D – need to submit bug report.
Software Projects Status
- Public printing outage – Xerox changed the print release station password, but did not inform anyone. We cannot seem to contact Xerox. They need to inform us of password changes, even if they do it on a frequent basis.
- Bobbie and Will have been reconfiguring the server room. It is a “miracle of organization” that all should behold. Next they’ll be working on the ergonomic set up of it all. Debris in the old server room needs to be removed by Facilities so that we can move the water cooler away from the exterior wall.
- Public logoff button disappearance – Carol Whitmer reported and Winston was able to reproduce it. Verify does not run because the profile does not load. Problem is intermittent – are forced to load roaming profile or reboot (only on troublesome machines). There seems to be a date problem loading the roaming profile – it kills the stored profile and it has to download again. Time sync seems messed up. Could be a battery problem. Bill says the solution for this machine is to replace the CMOS batteries and kill the NIC. We’ll see if that fixes the problem.
- UF ID mods – Personnel is set up to go on MLK weekend. Will switch on Sunday at 10AM – Winston will come in.
- SysRequest – DLC & Special Collections will start using it online now.
- DLC Tracking database – is on the server and being tested – has not been approved of yet – meeting Wednesday.
- Facilities OE system – Cynthia has done lots of work – still has interface and reports to do – this takes priority over SysRequest.
- ILL transfer from ILLIAD to accounting – should be done tomorrow.
- SysLog – recording changes to networking equipment in Systems – Hilton is working on it.
Student and Department Happenings
- Search engine is working again. The power outage effected the indexing – the Library Web page was not searchable.
- GatorLink is having problems.
- All three students have returned.
- Make sure Systems calendar is up-to-date.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated January 13, 2003
by Debra Harris