Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 9/9/02
- Web mail hack? A bizarre email query was sent to the UF Webmaster and President Young. It said that, on two occasions, their email was “intercepted and interfered” by a Library West staff person named Tammy – and it included her age: 28. The email did not originate from a UF address. Highly questionable – could be an email spam.
- West renovation status – October 2 is the deadline to get plans for the reduced space (60,000 sq ft) to the architects. May be redesigning the entire Library. Rumors will be flying – don’t make any promises – refer any inquiries to Bill. There is also talk of moving the Systems department to the 4th floor of Library East (now LAC). This would mean that we would lose the vaults, the new server room – Bill has tried to reason that this would not be good. They are in panic mode because of the deadline.
- PeopleSoft – Shands is now using it. UNF, West Florida and FSU all use it. It is an Enterprise Resource Planning system used to data mine a common storehouse of information: Payroll, Personnel, Traffic & Parking, etc. This has dovetailed nicely with our split from the SUS. Warren Curry is working on it. It is definitely going to happen, whether or not it will be with PeopleSoft is unknown.
- Meeting Friday – Directory Project people: Martha Hruska, Carol Turner, Bill Covey, Rich Bennett, Warren Curry, FCLA – talked about FCLA’s role in the Directory Project and ALEPH – everyone has to come together post-NOTIS. UF would like the project to happen in January along with the implementation of ALEPH.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- SQL Server Training – attended by Systems programmers – the week-long session was good. Hilton actually missed work. They are all much more dangerous now. The instructor indicated that most programmers don’t work with both SQL server programming and coding, so our crew had interesting questions.
- Power in MSL – no word.
- No major orders – some things on order for John Ashcraft’s video project.
- Are installations still being done by Network Services? Yes. We’ may have one upcoming in Education soon.
Software Projects Status
- User folders moved to NT2R – probably complete; Will just needs to do a final check/review.
- PAULA dying and public logoff button disappearing – Winston didn’t have a chance to work on those items last week.
- HW/SW requests online – ready to go to live internal beta testing. Winston, Bill and Debra will discuss.
- Last minute checks needed for Programming requests as well.
- DLC – Ying was out last week, she is still working on programming mods.
- The Stat Server was down twice again last week. Suzy has shortened the 7 steps down to 6. It seems to stay up for about 2 days at a time.
- The Reference desk is how they keep the request statistics – only recording them twice a month instead of everyday.
- Divine Upgrade – will wait for 6.0. The Divine rep will be here all day on Wednesday for Ref Express training for the Documents grant. He will meet with Systems (Suzy & Winston) for one hour.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated September 23, 2002
by Debra Harris