Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Geoffrey finished mowing half of his yard, and then his mower died. Now his lawn has a Mohawk.
- Ying and Bill are both recipients of the Performance award. In celebration, they would like to take everyone in Systems out to lunch. The first available day when all staff will be here is July 31. Please keep that date open. They are thinking about going to the University Conference Hotel. Congratulations to Ying and Bill, the awards are well deserved. Kudos to the whole department.
- Orders – done for the most part until next fiscal year. Most orders will be on hold in accounting.
- NT2R – went down this morning – Will called Dell and had to force the drives back. Forced it online, it’s back up and running. Dell said we couldn’t make it more than one partition. The solution will be to temporarily move the departmental folders, blow away the two partitions, then move the folders back.
- The UPS for NT3 has been swapped over. Geoffrey is checking on the warranty for the old one.
- Liaisons are installing the patches, and are not too happy about it.
- Bill received an email lauding the VPN on campus. Bill forwarded it on to Network Services, since it is not our baby. Rich comments that VPN is solving FCLA proxy problems. There are further details about VPN on the Network Services Web site.
- Malware – not active on our accounts right now. They are scanning campus methodically – other departments are now feeling the sting. We have no evidence of anyone compromising our sign-ons at the moment. There is an increase of Kleez impersonations. Geoffrey received an impersonation of himself. In all of these cases, just delete the suspicious email.
Software Projects Status
- Need to do a major upgrade for the Apache servers in DLC. In order to install a patch, we have to upgrade from 6.3 to 8.0.
- Upcoming power outage scheduled for MSL – starts late on July 12 and will be out all day July 13 (Saturday). The power will be back on July 14. CISE will also have an outage.
- No word from the Trend Neat Suite people.
- Net Agent demo – went well. There are 5 net agents (in the Health Science Center) who are not on the domain. They can’t get to the tool to get past the transactions. Winston has created accounts for them – they have to supply an ID and password.
- Proxy for public users to get from the proxy server to LocalHost worked for everyone except MSL. All of the MSL mail machines went down (they don’t go through the proxy). Winston had to turn that feature off. The proxy dummied out the Gopher proxy for all public machines. Effective on IE only. Microsoft has not released a patch yet. When they do, we can back out of these settings.
- Suzy is out all this week – SGML training.
- Net Agent – upgrade is coming out in September. The company that owns Net Agent (E-Share) was recently bought out by Divine. It is unknown what will happen with the software. We are not committed to the upgrade right now. There are cheaper alternatives to this software out there, but our staff and users are not going to like the idea of change.
- Stat Server – Upgrade received.
- This week is the break between Summer A & B terms. Latoya is scheduled to work 8AM-12PM, but called in this morning, as her daughter is sick. Rich notes that Aleph has released 15.2 client software. It is working fine for him. No training on it is scheduled until January. If we receive any questions about it, refer them to Rich.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated July 1, 2002
by Debra Harris