Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Most of Systems has seen “Harry Potter”.
- Geoffrey just got a new SUV by trading in two cars. He also got a new (used) 1980 Honda motorcycle.
- Systems T-shirts are here!
- Holiday traffic was horrendous.
- Small amount of software to be ordered today.
- No word on the memory and computer orders yet. Need to follow-up.
- Current version of ARIEL will not run on W2K. Need to upgrade to version 3.0.
- Software survey – getting ready to survey liaisons for current list of FP2K and Office installations. If response is not quick enough, we may need to put out auditing software to obtain accurate information.
Software Projects Status
- In the process of getting one more DLC Apache server online.
- Sample public machines from MSL & HSS to be brought over to Systems to check security issues on upcoming W2K installations.
- W2K upgrades: ILL – 80% complete. Special Collections – 60-70% complete. Judaica/Ed – will do them together as one unit. Facilities – 80%, still need to do Bill Hanssen and the student machine. HSS, Circulation & Access Services are complete. Only exception is David Hickey. He now has his upgraded CJK software, but he’d like a RAM upgrade as well. LAC – Paul will be ready to start upgrading this Wednesday. Administration – Marcia’s machine, Barbara Hood, Dale, Carol Turner and Steve Shorb all need to be done. Geoffrey upgraded Marcia’s machine to 128M RAM today. Carol’s will be the most difficult due to her Visor. Administration needs to be finished as soon as possible. Special Collections should be completed next, followed by Education/Judiaca and LAC – all of whom are waiting for memory upgrades.
- Winston and Cynthia met with Carol Turner about the Circ Desk portion of the public WSID system. Problem concerns blocked patrons – should they be overridden by staff? What about lost or stolen cards or people off the street? We don’t really want to give the Circ Desk staff the ability to override. Discussion on the criteria for overrides still pending.
- Winston will be meeting with Gus from Preservation this week to discuss upcoming software projects.
- Web Projects – server migration – upcoming: will upgrade to W2K. Will use DCPromo to make it a Domain Controller so that it will then recognize the local groups. It makes W2K servers act like a domain controller in an NT environment.
- Students generally showed up for most of last week. They should be back in full force this week.
- The Halon Fire Suppression System in the tape vault will be inspected by Borrell Fire Systems sometime in December.
- Geoffrey notes that the ITC position that he was on the hiring committee for has been put on hold – the position got caught in the hiring freeze.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated December 4, 2001
by Debra Harris