Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- New Star Trek series starts this Thursday at 10 PM on WB network.
- Dark Angel discussion.
- Geoffrey put 200 miles on his motorcycle over the weekend.
- We have a new jar of coffee creamer!
- Virus Update – NIMDA – McAfee had three updates in 24 hours. Many DAT engines had not been upgraded – need to uninstall & reinstall.
- Glenda’s machine had an 8 GIG HD that was using 1.5 GIG – it was so fragmented she couldn’t get enough virtual memory to install the update. She was getting a blue screen – could be caused by mouse & video drivers. Had to defrag her machine; it took 2 hours. Windows installer – McAfee comes with one, may need a more current version from MS.
- John Ashcraft asked what the priority should be for virus updating and W2K upgrades. Answer: Virus scanner upgrades first, W2K upgrades next – to be followed by critical updates via the MS Windows update. After software installations, service packs must be reapplied. Will inform liaisons of these steps.
- NERSP machine was hacked – attacked a FCLA page, put up a hacker page – got past UNIX & NERDC protective ring. It is seemingly fixed.
Software Projects Status
- Backup failed this weekend – it failed switching tapes – the tape was jammed. Will manually retrieved it; his fingers remain intact.
- Virus issue – Will is searching the McAfee site for clean-up tools for NIMBA. Much of the work has to be done by hand.
- Conversion of switches to private IP’s is complete. You have to be in the building to work on them; otherwise you can’t get the display. Will require laptop usage.
- W2K – Resource Services is finished. Marvin has converted new workstations only. Hang has done some new images on E3000s, but no upgrades. MSL – haven’t heard from them, but they are proceeding at their own pace. DLC is done. Need to do Marvin’s area next – HS&S has been having some night intruders. Need to check with Cathy Mook to schedule time to convert Preservation. Education and AFA should follow – then Journalism.
- Suzy’s printing is offline. The JetDirect boxes are overloading due to NIMBA. Bobbie will check on it.
- Web cam – still no word.
- NAC meets this week. Bill and Martha are on a network subcommittee.
- Public workstation ID system – keep hitting snags.
- Special Borrower system – pending outside forces.
- Library Stats – Hilton has finished the last three forms and Jack is already using them.
- Erich is requesting a program to read a CD and put the information about files directly into a database. He also wanted checksum information. UNIX has that as a built-in function. Hilton is trying to replicate it. SygWin has almost the entire UNIX utility suite for free and is functional with W2K.
- Trouble Tickets – changes abound. Now the SQL server will automatically send a message to the caller and the person assigned a ticket.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated October 1, 2001
by Debra Harris