Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- We’re out of coffee creamer.
- Winston got a new catalog for Systems shirts from Dragonfly Graphics. We’ll need to settle on a few designs.
- Security issues – Systems has always been pretty well locked up, but we need to be more cautious: strange bags left alone – we may want to call police.
- LMG recap – 20 paged report was discussed verbatim. It was determined that the IT equipment budget will be more or less the same as last year. Should be in the low to mid 6 figure range. Wiring, software, hardware orders should start rolling. Current on-hold orders may be cleared.
- Bruce Chappell picked up the laptop he will be taking to Cuba. He was asking questions about getting through security. Bill’s advice: carry it on; ask for a hand check rather than scan.
- Need to get out an order today for Exchange Server Ent 5.5 license to move our current email server to the new server in a clustered environment.
- Geoffrey reports that the training classes went well – he got a lot of positive feedback. He’s now getting questions about W2K training and has replied that we need to wait until the upgrade rollout is complete.
Software Projects Status
- West conference room 273 – Digital and USI have completed the installation of the brass floor plates and the entire wiring job is now plenum rated.
- Web Cam – no word on status.
- Network switches – vulnerability has prompted moving them to private IP.
- Databases dropping out – FirstSearch is not working in other parts of the state – it is here at UF. The UF Web page was up and down all weekend. When this occurs, we just need to use standard troubleshooting methods. Pinging is not a useful as it used to be since many places are turning it off.
- Server migration – NT2R in progress. Need to get the Enterprise version of Exchange. Will move all user folders, backups are working.
- Attachment problem on Exchange – could be caused by the backup process. Now we’ll try individual mailbox backups only to see if it eliminates the attachment problem. If you experience any attachment problems, let Will know.
- Winston and Cynthia are working on public workstation access. ADO connection to SQL server.
- Hilton is working on coding the last three forms for the Library Statistics. These are not part of the regular forms and only apply to Facilities and Personnel.
- Ying – just about finished with the report component of the DLC tracking database. W2K lost the configuration files of the BDE. Pre v.5 BDE was OK; with v.5, some applications are problematic. But the changes only take ten minutes to fix. Geoffrey needs a list of the BDE clients.
- Ying and Winston met with DLC & FCLA regarding scanning interface. FCLA has decided to do it –they are already halfway there with it. Winston met with Suzanne Kiker about NOTIS macro – sum cost of orders. Winston looked at DB2, FCLA does not publish enough info there to grab. Rich suggests checking with Donna Alsbury at FCLA, she does error reports.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated September 24, 2001
by Debra Harris