Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 8/27/01
- Sweet-n-Low and Equal have been added to the sugar collection in the break room.
- Will’s car was broken into at his house. His briefcase containing his Palm Visor was stolen.
- Copier in Systems is on its last leg.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Re: Ann#1 - The first Culligan water bill has been received. Bill went ahead and paid for it since it was largely a bill for the cooler in Suzy’s office. Starting with the next bill, we will divide the cost.
- Nets#8 – should be almost the entire MS Office line, not just XP.
- No capital equipment budget as of yet. The SUS directors met last week, but there has been no word yet on the money. All computer-level orders are on hold.
- Geoffrey has been distributing memory for upgrades. We’ll keep ordering when we’re down by a half.
- Meeting last week – talked about the general administrative group permissions for W2K. Problems with McAfee may cause Power User permissions to be issued.
- We may try adding WSID’s to the domain from our end and let the liaisons do the fundamentals – they would need to send us the WSID’s a day in advance.
- Ghosted images – real user automatically becomes a power user.
- Running under Admin sign-on can cause system strangeness. Some safeguards may not exist. Need at least two levels of authority.
- All plug-n-play devices require an administrator. Visors are a problem - USB device may be getting unplugged.
- Liaison basic training to take place this week.
- Specific W2K training to take place next week.
* Loud noise of flushed-out water pipes broke up the rest of the meeting.
- Public Printing – Bill had an impromptu meeting this morning with Barbara Oliver, Marvin Crabb and the Xerox representative. There seems to be a problem with Xerox’s configuration of the printer drivers. They are using PS. We’re urging everything them to shift to PCL. The networking problems seem resolved. MSL has been complaining about work stations locking up. Xerox may upgrade the print release stations to Win’98.
- Laptop dialup access – we’ve received complaints of people having trouble getting in with dialup access. They may be trying to use a 1-800 dialup number with a GatorLink account. Won’t work that way, but you can use your Library staff ID.
- W2K – 3rd floor Resource Services is almost done (2 workstations left). 2nd floor RS is next. MSL has been doing clean installs, upgrades still ongoing.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated September 17, 2001
by Debra Harris