Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 8/13/01
- No Culligan water bill yet.
- Geoffrey got a temporary motorcycle license for the new Royal Enfield motorcycle that he ordered and has received.
- Winston tasted a lot of Zinfindel while out in California. The weather was perfect.
- Winston has proposed a conference room beautification project in light of the newly arrived table. He suggests bringing in plants, pictures, etc.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Okidata printer problems – fixed with the proper drivers – all is fine now.
- Laptop – Betty Mitchell said that she ordered it last Monday, August 20.
- IE 5.5 – Bill’s is going dead. He’s working on upgrading to 6.0.
- ISIS – crashed last Wednesday, seems to be an ongoing problem.
- UF web site dropped out over the weekend. NERSP to mainframe can’t seem to handle the load. 256 channels are not enough.
Software Projects Status
- Public Printing – still in the phase of the new Xerox interface: full 100 and full duplex. Will also do memory upgrades. As of last week, everything was working fine.
- W2K upgrades – before Music was finished, we started on MSL then Resource Services (3rd floor first). Marvin has eight new machines ready for fresh installs over in Reference. Preservation is on hold until the other areas are settled. Had some problems with the liaison permissions groups – had to remove old ones, add a few new. There is one student from MSL who is in the group, as long as no problems arise.
- Servers – clustered servers to replace NT2 – Will brought them back up, we’re now ready to start experimenting with moving the Exchange server. We’ll put up a dummy Exchange server then a dummy copy – and only if that works will we actually make the move. Would be good if we could convert by Labor Day weekend.
- Web server – NT8R – has been put back together and is ready for testing. We’ll practice moves this week. It is fine to work on NT8, Suzy will give people advanced notice when it is no longer available.
- Backups have been running fine.
- W2K workstations – master browser problem – Network Neighborhood disappearances. Geoffrey asks about NT servers being trumped by W2K workstations. We may want to go ahead and upgrade some servers to W2K. Will do NT10 first, then NT9. After that, NT3 & NT4 will have to be done. We could put a dummy in the closet – or the ILLIAD server, which is already W2K. We’ll try the dummy and see how it goes first.
- New Web Cam outside of West – 5th floor – will overlook the Plaza. We’ll need to provide the IP and let them know what closet – Ed Gresh & company will be doing the work.
- Office XP – big licensing problems – MS is pushing UF administration to go with all-campus licensing, NAC recommended not to, then disbanded.
- Cynthia – working on scanning integration for DLC. She has been working with a practice scanner in Systems.
- ILLIAD – complete.
- Minor adjustments to Library Statistics.
- IRDB version problem – no data impact, just function. PAULA problem for the returning students resolved.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated September 10, 2001
by Debra Harris