Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Water – new account set up in Debra’s name, first delivery to occur this Wednesday. Bill and Suzy will purchase the cooler that is housed in Suzy’s office. Resource Services & Preservation are also interested in water delivery.
- Laptop – order delivered to Barbara Oliver for the Sony Vaio laptop to replace the old checkout Gateway laptop that we are giving to Bruce Chappell to take to Cuba.
Software Projects Status
- Current Server Setups – when bringing up a new server or upgrading to W2K, we need to use a private IP (not routed). Will have to run it through the proxy server to do patches and updates. Obviously this can only be done in this building. What IP numbers to use? Just use the last two digits of your phone extension. 2-254 is available. This will not work outside of Systems. In the future, we may eventually put proxy servers in each building. Right now this is a way to designate a sterile address in order to work on a machine.
- Public Printing – Will talked to Marvin this morning – West is fine; he is going to the branches to set up the JetDirects. Last Friday, Geoffrey had to “jump start” a number of JetDirects. The Web interface is not the same for each one. MSL is not going yet – there are 2 JetDirects in West and 1 in Documents. MSL will have two – one each for everywhere else. Xerox sent us a network interface card that would not fit and a software patch that always locks up.
- Okipage4W printer and W2K upgrade is resulting in driver problems.
- DLC – upgrade for NT & W2K presenting problems: it won’t install if the machine has hardware or software that it is not compatible with – and almost every machine in DLC fills that description. The Microtech scanners have no drivers or software updates for W2K. The compatibility reader cancels if it finds conflicting devices like flashcard readers or video drivers. All of DLC will need to be hand-upgraded. Another department that may run into this problem is ILL, because of the Ariel software (it recently would not run Acrobat 5.0).
- Illiad- changed over, SQL server added – but it has not been tested yet. The server is now being filtered, not through Exchange.
- Suzy is unable to print.
- Public WSID System – DB2 & Winston’s work station are now able to communicate. He brought the version he had up a level. He’ll get going on it when he returns from vacation. Public printing with a GatorOne card going through IIS will work.
- Library Stats – request for about 6 or 7 changes. All complete except one – Hilton is working on adding a Notes (text) field.
- Cynthia finished the prototype for the Special Borrower system for Circulation. Kip Forrest has not reviewed it yet; Cynthia is waiting on him.
- Cynthia is researching TWAIN components for DELPHI integration on DLC scanners.
- New student crew starts on Wednesday: Heather Simpson, Eva Dorfler and Kristen Dansby.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated August 27, 2001
by Debra Harris