Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Cynthia finally received her ergonomically correct chair!
- Will had much difficulty trying to obtain a tetanus shot following his fishing mishap last week. Apparently there is a shortage of the vaccine, so he had to go to either the Department of Health or the Emergency Room to get the shot. He chose the ER and, unfortunately, the wait was atrocious.
- Culligan Water seems there are plenty of Systems folk interested in chipping-in for water each month. The average cost usually runs about $35, to be divided among at least five of us. Debra called the rep today; hell be making a trip here on Wednesday to set up the account.
- We have ordered a fairly major laptop; it should be arriving in the near future so keep an eye out for it. It is a Sony Vaio R505 with a docking station. It will be kept in Systems and used for checkout. We will be giving one of the old Gateway laptops to Bruce Chappell in Special Collections for use in Cuba. Will need to alert Suzy to the specs so she can make it available for checkout.
- Public printing IPX protocol was turned off over the weekend. Public printing is working just fine this morning. We want to push Xerox to expand the amount of memory they are using and to get them to go full duplex. IPX is not being used anywhere as far as we know, but if we get any reports that something just died we may want to check out what protocol it is using.
Software Projects Status
- Viruses Sircam continues to roll in. Code Red II is causing increased traffic and probes with one hit per second. Red Code III has not hit yet, but it is supposed to be even more virulent.
- Illiad the server got infected with Sircam within one hour of being on the Net (before we had a chance to get the patches on it).
- Server backups have been running OK. This weekend one file failed. Will is going to upgrade the server to W2K this week.
- Staff W2K upgrades Music & MSL Music is finished, with the exception of one machine. MSL is off & running Will gave them the disks for fresh installs as well as directions for downloading from the network. Geoffrey informs that John Ashcraft built his own images on 2 CDs and has distributed them. Geoffrey found some flaws on the images that he built, so he needs to rebuild the image. Resource Services is anxious to get started so is Marvin in Reference. John Ascraft will need more memory for his machines; Bill okayed giving him some from the shelf. Systems programmers will need to have liaison permissions to access W2K machines in order to upgrade software.
- DLC glue code this is pretty much wrapped up Hilton is done with his portion and Cynthia is just awaiting feedback.
- Cynthia is working on a special borrower system for Circulation. Their specs are not well-defined, Cynthia will offer them her own. Should be done today.
- Library Statistics Meeting held had requests for a few minor changes.
- ILLIAD the technician came to install and train on Thursday, but he ran into a number of problems. NT8 security is set up so that ILLIAD cannot be set up on it. They were able to install it on a spare machine, but it was soon hit by the Sircam virus. The technician is supposed to return on Thursday to try and get it installed. On Friday he should be returning for the training session. We will need to put it on its own dedicated server.
- ILL Content Site the server we designate for ILLIAD may also be able to support this site.
- Patron Updates for the Fall Semester will be done next week. Runs on the first day of classes and the first day of drop/add.
- Students are off this week will return full-force on Wednesday, August 22.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated August 20, 2001
by Debra Harris