Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Will had a bit of a fishing mishap this weekend and sliced up his index finger.
- Geoffrey is in the process of getting a new motorcycle.
- Culligan H2O the Libraries will no longer be funding the purchase of Culligan water. Please email Bill regarding your decision to contribute for the departmental purchase of water.
- Ordering has started again. Weve been busy running down old items in the queue that have been on hold. Status of the budget is unknown Bill read in the paper over the weekend that both IFAS & FCLA budgets will be cut.
- Very excited about W2K.
Software Projects Status
- Sircam continues: Virus sent out this morning through a Dustin Anderson. Have tracked him down as a Law School student. Sircam is certainly a plague upon the earth. It is a very clever virus; we need to think about what we want to do to drastically reduce our exposure to it. We can either rely on users to keep their machines patched at all times, do something at the network level or do something at the server level. No solution will prove to be both efficacious and attractive, but something needs to change. Bill is going to try to figure out the technical side for each possibility.
- Server backups worked OK this weekend.
- Exchange server backups it is skipping two critical files. Will is going to contact the Veritas software company to discuss the problems with the backups.
- W2K upgrades from the network Music Library will attempt it today just the staff, not public.
- Public printing test patch with JetDirect worked. Xeroxs Ethernet cards are the source of the problem. They should be returning tomorrow to discuss the situation.
- Winston training for online Library statistics.
- Glue code DLC Cynthia has finished with her part, need to deliver it to Melody from the DLC.
- CICS public workstation ID system Tigert discovered the problems they are having with store procedure are not on the IBM side.
- Link checker software Lawan investigated and is currently using a commercial product. It doesnt catch all of the broken links, but it will suffice.
- Trouble Tickets Winston made a change, reordering the display from descending to ascending by date.
- Winston added a third newspaper (from Trinidad) to the Mellon 2 database.
- ILLIAD to be installed this Thursday.
- The break between summer and fall is next week, August 13-17. Classes resume Aug. 22.
- Student lineup for Fall 01 will be: Heather Simpson, Eva Dorfler and Kristen Dansby.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated August 13, 2001
by Debra Harris