Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Ying won two badminton trophies – Women’s Singles & Mixed Doubles at the Tampa USF Invitational Tournament over the weekend!
- UF is trumpeting an “Alternative Work Location policy”. It is a pilot program, details can be checked out on the UF Personnel Web page at: http://www.ups.ufl.edu/cc/alternateworklocation/policy.htm
- No new orders going through – budget not yet available.
- Both MMM & Liaisons met last week. There was a big turnout at both meetings for discussions on W2K conversion.
- The idea of individual sign-ons is bothering folks, though the deadline to have that done was 18 months ago.
- Bill announced that the week of August 6 we will start the staff upgrade outside of Systems – most likely starting with Music.
- Hope to have all staff converted by the middle of the fall semester or by December.
- Rich, Suzy & the student machine have still not been upgraded to W2K.
Software Projects Status
- Backups on the new Dell SAN – has been eating up tape, Will needs to change the compression. Will is going to be out next week, so we’re going to go back to the old server until he gets back and can work on the SAN compression.
- Waiting for the order for Backup Exec server to advanced server upgrade to arrive. Bill notes to make sure that both Bobbie & Geoffrey know how to run the backups as they currently exist.
- W2K upgrade via server – still experimenting. Fresh upgrades have gone OK. Could run into problems with ghosted machines upgrading over the server. It doesn’t seem to pick up the IP or machine name. Works fine on non-ghosted machines. Could rename the machine manually on ghosted machines before upgrading. Fresh installs will require system prep. May offer users a choice between a fresh install and server upgrade.
- Migration to Lib Web server/NT8 replacement – not until August, waiting for Backup Exec.
- Most of the software unit seems to be working on DLC projects. Hilton & Cynthia are both working on productivity improvements for the recording of CD information. Bill notes to make sure that a naming convention is not a main part of the code.
- Ying – DLC – working on improvement to Phase I.
- Marie Kennedy is back; she requested a LASSIE change that Hilton easily corrected.
- Winston is still waiting on information from IS about GatorOne validation. If we can’t get the information or money for the scanners (which will be a formidable amount), then we may have to go to Plan B: Gatorlink sign-on and password.
- ILLIAD is tied up with lawyers.
- ILL Content site – waiting for new Web server.
- John Humphrey called regarding the cleaning staff’s hours. They will be fobbed for access before the Systems staff arrives to work.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated July 16, 2001
by Debra Harris