Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Review Minutes of 5/14/01
- Rich had a nice weekend getting together with family and friends to celebrate his Dad’s life. Quite a few former Librarians were in attendance.
- Bobbie’s Dad will be coming home from the hospital today.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- RIR #3 – Emily eventually installed the correct driver, turned off the form feed option – and now the printer works just fine.
- RIR #4 – Vault door still needs adjusting. Now the front door will stay open on its own – the floor seems to be sinking & rising in certain place.
- Announcements #3 – SACS lectures – Bill did some Web searching, seems the policy is warmed-over TQM, a management system from Japan with balanced scorecards. Bill will pass along any and all ideas to management. All channels are open. Our developable products? PAULA is a-go, but a few changes will need to be made.
- FLUKE meter received. Training workshops to follow.
- Streaming video – dial-up grief.
- Epson 880 for Systems was DOA out of the box. LaserJet Plus is scheduled to pick it up for repair tomorrow. Geoffrey cautions that under NT 4.0 it’s hard to see the W2K box. In W2K, you do not get a default in the Network Neighborhood.
- Order for replacement Web server has finally reached Compaq. Could be arriving soon.
Software Projects Status
- Net attacks – more occurred over the weekend. LPR print servers were hit. These are Linux-Red Hat boxes. Bill picked up the attacks on his scanner. Source was internal to UF.
- West closet – it is still at 83 degrees. Rob Roberts has called in a work order to investigate whether to install a fan in the ceiling or larger door vents.
- The new servers are up, running and clustered in the new server room (tape vault). Storage space will transfer if there is a failure. This will turn into the mail server (NT2) and primary file storage for user files. We’re currently debating upgrading to W2K before migrating the mail server. Exchange 2000 seems to be more stable than 5.5, the problem there is that the active directory has to be in place. That will be a real bear.
- Digital will be working in our new server vault today, installing net drops.
- LibStat Web interface – Hilton finished another form, Phase 2 is complete. He is working on Phase 3.
- Personnel DB mods – Winston needs to get with Melody.
- PAULA to SQL still in process.
- Student Patron Update done for Summer A. ,li> Public workstation ID system – GatorLink card swipe for public machine access using a magstripe reader. Reader has been ordered; Winston will work to figure out the programming.
- Scanning integration for DLC/Preservation – Winston is also working on this.
- Students – Laura Williams had to withdraw for the semester, so we’re down one student. There is a definite coverage gap now at lunchtime, so listen out for the phones.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated June 4, 2001
by Debra Harris