Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Winston was a master of drywall this weekend.
- The lecture series speakers are available on the Library Web page for anyone that may have missed them last week. More speakers are scheduled for this week.
- Xerox grand conversion of Novell to NT is in the final phase. They are now working on the backup Compaq server.
- Orders Bill sent the Liaisons a message reminding them to submit the appropriate paper requests for any software or hardware. Personal emails or SYSHELP messages will not suffice. Any open tickets for such requests will be closed.
- Received the battery for the UPS power supply. The hot swap was successful.
- Broken parts on E series systems going to room 419 should we make one machine out of multiples? It depends on the problem, will discuss later on an individual basis.
- Bobbie found a machine on the 6th floor of West that is running Win95! After the Xerox conversion is complete, these stations will no longer be able to print. Then theyll have to upgrade.
- Nigerian scam Bill had so many inquiries about it that he had to send out notice that it is a fraud.
Software Projects Status
- Over the weekend, campus was scanned and some Web sites were hacked. UF seems to be a target lately, so beware of things that can make you more vulnerable to attack: machine left on all the time, instant messaging, baby Web servers, or open files shared with the outside world. Our machines should be fairly secure since our servers are running NT or W2K. Be sure to lock up you work station when you leave the area.
- Preservation was experiencing continuing problems with people changing their machines, so they had to set all the BIOS passwords.
- Theft has been brazen lately: memory removed from machines, optical mice removed & replaced with regular mice. Investigation is ongoing.
- Exchange server had attachment problems on Saturday. Could be due to a recent password change on Dewey. Bill rebooted; it came back up functional.
- Virus outbreak notification several outbreaks recently, Resource Services is updating their scanning.
- MS Access Winston has noticed the Administrator password has not been set on a number of machines. If it has & you cant remember, it takes a registry edit to change it.
- West closet was at 83 degrees this morning. Still need to get the temperature lower.
- 2nd floor Com closet where NT9 is housed is getting very hot. Need to report these two incidents to Facilities.
- Server room electrical to be inspected Tuesday or Wednesday. Hole in the wall should be patched. The electrical crew removed some of the structural supports. Now we will have someone come in to evaluate the posts and inform us as to whether or not they are necessary to support the ceiling or if they can be removed. The rack for the servers should be set up next Tuesday (maybe this Friday). SANS server will also be housed in this room.
- Library Security wiring 8 drops in West were pulled by Digital on Thursday, the next 4 will be in East & 3 in MSL. If SEMCO deems it necessary, we can run temporary wire as long as we know where & how many.
- East room 100 Circulation point wireless reception is available.
- LibStat Web interface, DLC Tracking, Personnel DB & PAULA to SQL are all status quo.
- Susan Lupi asked Winston to make some changes to an old program originally designed by Brian Burton.
- ILL content site they are photocopying books & trying to scan into PDF and put them up on their Web site. How to avoid copyright infringements? Adobe encryption feature? May get the Web site up on NT8 this week.
- No students working this week. Listen for the phones.
- Three new students start next Monday, May 14.
- Keep up with the Systems calendar.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated May 14, 2001
by Debra Harris